Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant Illegal Evidance can it still be used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

breezer

Can anyone give me some case law on diriviative evidance from an illegal search that can be used in court.

i.e.
Illegal search turns up evidance that gives proable cause to search a third party that was implicated in the information found during the illegal search of the primarys property. Secondary accomplice is then indited and information from the search is used against him. Can this be legal?

Or is this fruits of the poisionous tree? Can that fruit become clean because it is used on one of the accomplices of the illegal activity and not the person the illegal search was performed upon?

It's personal now!

The Case Law is U.S. v Payner 447 U.S 727 (1980)

Standing: the defendant must be "a victim of the search or seizure"; the defendant's personal right to privacy was violated

i. Only those who have standing may assert claims to enforce most constitutional rights
ii. Only defendants whose "personal" Fourth Amendment rights have been violated may invoke the Exclusionary Rule, because defendant's may not vicariously assert the Fourth Amendment rights of some third party
iii. The standing requirement is true even when the government deliberately violates the rights of a subordinate in order to obtain evidence against the "ring leader" United States v. Payner, 447 U.S. 727 (1980)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back