Illegal Eviction in the State of New Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fed_Up_Renter

I possess a police report describing that the Landlord put all of my things outside in the rain. This was done due to my Landlord receiving notice that the illegal basement apartment wasn't within zoning laws and thus the Landlord only had 24 hours to evacuate the apartment.

I was in the process of receiving my relocation funds from the city that I did not receive at the time. Due to the fines, my Landlord places all of my belongings outside and it just so happens that this day it was raining cats and dogs.

I have filed for a sum of $4,400.00 with small claims court. The question is... How do I prove all of my losses? I have lost so much. In addition to that, things were stolen and missing-even if the Landlord did not steal the items herself the neighborhood isn't the type you would leave your laptop outside (one of the missing items). When trying to put a price tag on what I have lost, I find myself wanting to sue for much more. Due to the situation of the rush city eviction, I just took most of my furniture and additional ruined belonging directly to the city dump rather than bringing them to my new home.

What type of rating system is used in court to determine the price value on aged items? I have made a list and just guestimated what people would buy for my used items. Please provide me with useful tips on proof that I may need in court along with my police report.

We have had three court dates which have all been adjourned by the Landlord for one reason or another. I am guessing that the Landlord is building a case. I have lost a lot of time off work due to this trial being adjourned at the last minute with a doctors excuse attached.

One more question. Once I have been judgment for my loss, what is the best way to collect? I do not have any financial information for my Landlord besides the rent property that I lived in. I am more than sure that the Landlord will never pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back