Illegal Condo Rental in GA. FL Landlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrinaMel

Hello to All:

Please help. I need to hear from someone. Here is my situation:

In live in Georgia (Atlanta). I currently am renting a Condo. I have a roommate who I met once I moved in who is also renting.

My landlord, who resides in Miami Florida, has been renting out her 2 bed 2 bath condo to tenants for the past 5 years. I actually found the listing on Craigslist. My issue is, one of the front desk clerks who I am friends with let me know today that the Condo people are aware that the Condo is being rented out because they have noticed the frequency of different tenants over the past couple of years(they have a new manager who is cracking down on unauthorized rentals).

The issue now is, the condo owner, my landlord is not authorized to rent his condo, which I just found out today.I was told he doesn't have permission or 'rental rights' and is actually on a wait-list to rent which has not yet been approved.

I have been living there for six months, and the friend told me that the managers are getting ready to sent the owner a notice, and will charge her fees for every day we occupy the unit, and also eventually I and my roommate may be asked to vacate since we are not the owner.

I have paid my landlord a security deposit of $800. My rent is $800 a month and the bills are in the Landlord's name. I am worried of how this will play out.

What are my rights?? Also, I NEVER knew that the condo was 'illegal'. The condo listing on Craigslist along with the 'lease' and 'lease terms' were presented to me as if it were all legal.

Can they put me out? Will he be obligated to provide me relocation costs in the event that I am forced to move? Can I get my deposit back? Can I seek relocation costs? Is the lease null and void? Can I seek to be paid my six months of rent?
I have no money to move and I got a job close to where the condo live so moving will affect me getting to work as well.

I pay my landlord via bank wire transfer so I have record and receipts as well of all payments.

PLEASE HELP. I would greatly appreciate it.

The issue really appears that you "may" be asked to move out. Not that you will. And no, the owner will not be legally obligated to provide you with relocation costs although you can certain seek these through the court. The same issue with your deposit. Being reimbursed for the six months you've paid having already lived there? Forget it. I can't see a Georgia court offering you this.

Remember this is only a clerk telling you all of this. For heavens sake, if the landlord has done this for the past five years, you might question why the "Condo people" haven't addressed this issue before this.

Gail

Why not rent an apartment from a reputable apartment community?

^^I haven't rented from an apartment because they are very expensive (the ones that are in safe areas where public transportation is easily access). I would have to pay $1200 plus for a safe centrally located apartment in the city which I cannot afford. Also I do not make enough to get approved for the the of apartment I would like( I am a junior in college working two part-time jobs). its more affordable to rent a room from someone/ sublet/ or do an independent lease with lower rent and a larger refundable security deposit. Per the illegal lease terms, I am supposed to have the security deposit returned back to me, since the lease is illegal, would i even be entitled get it back? Keep n mind, the contract was originally presented to me as a legal agreement by the condo owner and I had no prior knowledge that she was breaking the terms of the HOA.

You can send a letter requesting your deposit be returned. Make sure you do it via certified or registered services, return receipt requested.

If you don't receive the funds within 30 days or so, bring an action in small claims court.

Then have fun trying to collect if you prevail.

No one has to do something bless ordered to do so by a judge, and in most cases, they can even risk ignoring a judge's order.

What I'm saying is, sometimes you just have to move n when you roll in come circles.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back