Other Immigration Law Ilegal immigrant drivers liscence

Status
Not open for further replies.

crockett

i have many friends and people i have worked with over the years that are in this country illegally.Im not going to comment on my views on being an illegal alien i just had another qustion. i often wondered how all of them got drivers liscence and insurance because they were all driving around.. A few times we got pulled over when one of them was driving...it seemed they got out of all tickets including possible duis over and over...is this because having to deal with an illegal immigrant as a cop is a huge headache and not worth the trouble?

Because many states allow an illegal immigrant to obtain a license, and you do not need to prove legal residency to obtain insurance.

New Jersey is a little unique on this one.

Prior to this year, an undocumented alien could legally "squeeze through" and obtain a driver's license. But that has changed. Well, it sort of has. And it sort of hasn't.

Now, it's basically impossible for a person who cannot prove their immigrant status to obtain a NJ driver's license .

But...

Earlier this year, The NJ Dream Act became law and this allows certain illegal aliens to apply to and attend higher education facilities.

Now, why does that affect things?

Well..here's the rub. In doing so, an illegal who meets certain other requirements can now obtain legal residency....and with legal residency, a driver's license is sort of a given.

As for the tickets, well I suspect you don't actually know the ins and outs of everyone else's history.

no i mean the cops wouldn't even write up tickets if the drivers poke with a spanish accent...this was pretty evident...or maybe just happened on total coincidence....i just thought they didnt want to get a guy in trouble for deportation just for a traffic ticket

no i mean the cops wouldn't even write up tickets if the drivers poke with a spanish accent...this was pretty evident...or maybe just happened on total coincidence....i just thought they didnt want to get a guy in trouble for deportation just for a traffic ticket

We'll never know some things, this is one.
Maybe what appears to be an illegal is an undercover cop or federal agent pretending to be an illegal.
Or, the cop didn't want to bother with all the paperwork.
Or, the cop just was in a break giving, "cut 'em loose" mood.
As I said, somethings we just will never know.

i feel like giving an illegal a dui or another bad traffic ticket is a paperwork nightmare for a cop...i guess you legal types like to plead the fifth on that and I respect that

Trust me, Crockett, the police don't care that much. It's not as if they can instantly discern who is illegal and who isn't illegal.

(In fact, there's virtually no chance of them doing that unless the immigrant actually says so)

A traffic ticket won't trigger deportation proceedings. In fact - and this is another fun little fact - USCIS actually makes a point of reminding us that traffic tickets (along with most misd. convictions) won't trigger deportation.

Full disclosure time ;)

I'm an alien. I am a legal permanent resident - in other words, my little green card (which is actually more pink than anything) is proof positive that I'm a-okay. Though my knowledge is by no means complete, I do tend to know quite a bit more about immigration issues than many other subjects.

It's probably because my following the rules cost me a few thousand dollars that yes, I do occasionally get a wee bit snippy when I come across someone who is going out of their way to circumvent the laws.

:)

Yes, yes you will.

:D

You know, they once asked me to write my autobiography. Because of legal constraints I did have to change certain names and details but despite this, they made a hugely successful movie out of it.

I just wish they hadn't cast Sigourney Weaver as my arch enemy. Proper scene-hog, that one.

Le sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back