1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

If I sue out of state, can I sue for travel expenses?

Discussion in 'Small Claims & Municipal Court' started by mike932, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike932

mike932 Law Topic Starter New Member

I might sue a corporation in Maryland in small claims court. I live in California. Can I also sue for the cost of flight and hotel to Maryland?

Also, I am suing because I got a minor injury in a hotel room. It is a name brand hotel chain. Do I sue the actual hotel in Florida? Or do I sue the hotel corporate headquarters in Maryland?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  2. jharris352

jharris352 New Member

No you can not. Sorry.

mike932 likes this.
  3. mightymoose

mightymoose Moderator

If the hotel chain does business in California I believe you can file your claim there.

mike932 likes this.
  4. mike932

So the hotel's registered agent in Maryland would be forced to come to California if they don't settle?

5. mightymoose

mightymoose Moderator

No... if it is a national chain and does business in California, then a representative from California would have to come to court.
    I am not 100% certain of that... it is something to look in to.

mike932 likes this.
  6. jharris352

jharris352 New Member

You know, I'm so sorry I didn't read the whole thing. I stand by my answer that you can not sue for travel expenses; however, you don't have to travel either.

Look up the registered agent in Florida, not in Maryland. Send them a letter demanding the amount of money you think you are due. You will be contacted by an attorney and they will negotiate it out with you. Good luck.

You can not sue them in your home state if the injury happened in Florida.

mike932 likes this.
  7. mike932

Might they will ignore my lawsuit if they assume that I actually won't bother to come to Florida? (I am willing to travel by the way)

8. jharris352

jharris352 New Member

They will not ignore your lawsuit. They will likely call you and settle with you.

mike932 likes this.
  9. mike932

If they are willing to pay me, why don't they just ignore my lawsuit so I win by default? That would make things simple for them and tougher for me because I would have to try to collect.

10. jharris352

jharris352 New Member

No lawyer is going to let his client have a default judgment. Just trust me, they aren't going to play games with you, they are a corporation that has much better things to do than to avoid a little collection by you. They would rather deal with it and go on.

mike932 likes this.