If I have high deductible insurance would I pay less if I say I don't have insurance?

Texas6023

Jurisdiction
Texas
My reason for having insurance in case of a big emergency and have excessive expenses. But for office visits wouldn't I be better off saying I don't have insurance and pay out of pocket anyway but it will be cheaper because they aren't billing my insurance? If I have a high deductible plan and I know I probably will not meet the deductible for the year? Can I do this? Is it legit?

You'll probably end up paying more, if you pay out of pocket; insurance companies pay physicians under a contracted plan. It may cost the office $25 to do a lab (and they'll charge $50, for how else to pay salaries/electricity/rent/water for the office?), and the insurance company agrees to pay $35.

Of course, you are always free to ask your physician's office if they give discounts for cash payment at time of service, regardless of insurance status.

I started to write much of what KatDini wrote so I'll just ditto that.

You are better off just having the claims go through your insurance, since you already have insurance, and you don't know from one day to the next whether you'll need treatment that reaches or exceeds your deductible.

If I have a high deductible plan and I know I probably will not meet the deductible for the year?

The thing is you never know when you might get sick - people get seriously ill suddenly, have serious accidents....... You could go over the deductible.

Back