If I and my mom and my three kids are living with my sister at her house and helping her and paying

D

Deleted member 118209

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
If I and my mom and my three kids are living with my sister at her house and helping her and paying half of the bills, and we don't get along, and she owns the house, can she kick us out, or will she have to go through the court to get us to evict first in PA?

If I and my mom and my three kids are living with my sister at her house and helping her and paying half of the bills, and we don't get along, and she owns the house, can she kick us out, or will she have to go through the court to get us to evict first in PA?

Legally, your sister would have to seek your eviction though the court system.

If you were evicted by the court, it'll haunt you for a decade.

An eviction makes renting a decent property almost impossible.

If you can't get along or make amends, it might be best to VOLUNTARILY move out.

It is best to live under your own roof as an adult.

I hope you figure it out and things turn around for all of you.

Understand the difference between eviction and termination of tenancy.

She must first give you written notice of termination of tenancy. If you have lived there for less than a year, it's 15 days. A year or more, it's 30 days.

If you haven't left by the specified deadline, then court eviction may ensue.

If your sister is talking about wanting you to leave, I suggest you find another place to live before things get out of hand. You do not want this to end up in court. An eviction on your record will severely limit your ability to rent a decent place.

and helping her

Helping her do what?

can she kick us out, or will she have to go through the court to get us to evict first in PA?

I don't entirely understand the disjunctive here.

You and your kids and your mother are tenants of your sister. I'm going to guess that you don't have a written lease (but please say so if that's not the case), in which case you're tenants at-will, which means she can evict you any time she wants without cause and will only need to give the notice required by the applicable state law (in some states, it's as short as 15 days, and in other states it may be as long as 60 days). If you fail to leave after being given proper notice, she can file an eviction action with the court.

Back