If Civil Rights are restored by one State, are they restored in all States

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryAllen

Some background first; In 1995 I was living and working in the State of Missouri, I was pulled over for a traffic citation and when the police ran my id it came back with a warrant from Georgia. I was arrested and waived my right to extradition because I didn't commit the crime I was accused of and figured I would be acquitted. After 18 months of imprisonment awaiting trial I broke down and plead guilty to a to a felony charge. Since I had no previous criminal background I was given a sentence of 5 years probation under Georgia's First Offender Law (O.C.G.A. § 42-8-62). I was able to have my probation supervision transferred to Missouri because that's where I had been living when I was arrested. I successfully completed my probation in 2000. I still live in the State of Missouri. I recently contacted the court clerks office and requested, and received a copy of the final disposition of my case. Stamped on it was the following statement: "Discharge filed completely exonerates the defendant of any criminal purpose and shall not affect any of his civil rights or liberties, and the defendant shall not be considered to have a criminal conviction. O.C.G.A 42-8-62" This was signed and dated 12-14-2000.

The Questions; 1) What does this mean legally? 2) Are all my rights automatically restored? 3) Is this valid in all states? 4) Can I legally own a hunting rifle? 5) Will a standard background check show a conviction on my record?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back