Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant I will be wrongly arrested .

Status
Not open for further replies.

cafrican

I am an African student at a Boston University. I have been in Africa the last six months undertaking research.

In the last two weeks some police officers of a county in MA went to my home in Boston area - where my wife lives- and stated that they were looking for me – they had an arrest warrant for an assault that had taken place.

On hearing this, I wrote an email to the Police chief of the county in question. I stated to him that I have been abroad for the last six months and there is no way that I could have been involved in an assault in the state while away in Africa .

He said he would speak to his detectives and get back to me. One of his detectives emailed us all back (probably by mistake) and stated that I was the person who was wanted. (In other words they did not believe that I was away at the time of the assault). I have a feeling that they are supposed to be looking for someone with a similar name as mine – but latched onto mine.

So now I need advise on what I should do.

I have an appointment at the local African US embassy and they may access data saying that I have an arrest warrant out for me and deny me the visa.

In addition, I have a feeling that when I land at the airport, I will be arrested.

What should I do in the face of all these? Should I hire a lawyer? Should I prepare to have a bond?. What other advice would any of the lawyers have for me?

Thanks so much in anticipation.

Make a copy of your passport and visas and give these copies to someone.

If you are not arrested when you arrive at the airport, turn yourself in. When you are questioned, simply show the authorities your documents and give names and contact information of people that can verify you were not at the crime scene at the time of the incident.

Thanks everyone for reading . Great news. The county in question has sent me a letter saying that the arrest warrant has been withdrawn. Thanks for this great resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back