I was named in a divorce complaint as the paramour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KelBar7

I was named in a divorce complaint as the paramour of my boss and friend. Do I have any rights to go after the wife for defamation? Is she just allowed to make false statements? I am uncomfortable that it will be submitted into the court with my name on it saying I had an affair with someone.

I was named in a divorce complaint as the paramour of my boss and friend. Do I have any rights to go after the wife for defamation? Is she just allowed to make false statements? I am uncomfortable that it will be submitted into the court with my name on it saying I had an affair with someone.

Its simply an accusation.

Most statements made under oath, in open court are protected forms of speech.

A paramour named in a divorce action is entitled to be noticed of the proceedings, if he/she is named as a co-respondent.

Have you been named as a co-respondent in this case?

If not, expect to be, so start protecting yourself.

An aggrieved spouse will sometimes name a paramour as co-respondent in order to allege they are the person with whom their alleged adulterous spouse had an affair.

They also name a paramour in order to shame and name, or accuse and blame.

They also are angry, and usually want money, as much money as they can collect.

If you have been so named, you then have the right to file an answer to the complaint against you and defend yourself accordingly.

Before you start doing this, Google the term: "named paramour or co-respondent in divorce action Virginia".

After you have acquainted yourself with the basics of this action, I strongly encourage you to speak with a couple of attorneys about the matter.

The initial consultation is generally offered free of charge.

So, go prepared to ask lots of questions.

Whatever you do, avoid all contact with both of these parties, until you completely understand the legal ramifications and implications of this allegation.

Most of the time this action is used ONLY after the petitioner has engaged the services of a private investigator.

In other words, you don't know what the aggrieved spouse knows, yet.

So, play it slow, and avoid contact with both of these people for the moment.

In the end, this could cost you a judgment, and perhaps some MONEY.

Last edited:
No, I haven't been named as a co-respondent. In the complaint, she is stating that if she can't get a divorce on the grounds of adultery, she is asking for a divorce on the grounds of desertion. It sounds like her attorney may have thought the adultery wasn't going to fly. Probably because it isn't true.

No, I haven't been named as a co-respondent. In the complaint, she is stating that if she can't get a divorce on the grounds of adultery, she is asking for a divorce on the grounds of desertion. It sounds like her attorney may have thought the adultery wasn't going to fly. Probably because it isn't true.

Then, you have no worries.

The best thing is to avoid them both, wait, watch, and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back