I was lied to about the effect of decreasing my hours would have on my benefits

CinR

Jurisdiction
Maryland
The opportunity to take a day off presented itself three months ago. I told my manager I would except the decrease in hours as long as it didn't have any effects on my vacation/sick time acured , my holiday hours paid, medical insurance, and seniority. I was assured by payroll and benefits that as long as I work 32 hours a week I would still be considered a full-time employee with no changes to any of my benefits. This last holiday I notice I I was only paid for six hours versus the eight hours I'm scheduled to work. I brought this to the attention of my manager and pretty much what it came down to was tough luck you got screwed over even though we clearly either lied or withheld information. I againreminded my boss that my decision on taking the schedule change was heavily based On being assured that it wouldn't change any of my benifits. What can I do ?

Look for a job with hours, pay and benefits more to your liking.
That's not the issue. I love what I do and the benifits are pretty good, the only down side is that my manager is very vindictive and a lier. But it's something I learned to deal with in the 5 years I've been working with her.

I'm not asking for my schedule to change again but I was clearly lied to, are there no regulations on misleading employees?

No. There are no regulations that have been violated. No laws have been broken. No rights protected by law have been trampled on. There is no legal action you can take.

Prevaricating is NOT a crime, unless done under oath, before any federal agent, on a loan application, or via attestation to a government document.

Sorry that you were given wrong information but I don't see where your employer did anything illegal.

Back