I was in an accident and could use some advice.....<m>

Status
Not open for further replies.

carrie1019

I was involved in an auto accident last night and the woman that hit me had run a red light. We exchanged our information and contacted our insurance company. Upon contacted mine I was informed that my insurance had expired due to a late payment that was missed . So needless to say I don't have insurance. We contacted her insurance and she hired an attorney and when her adjustor called she said that she is dening any guilt. She says it is my fault.

I just don't know what to do at this point. My truck is totaled, we have no money to run out and buy a new vehicle, no insurance and just at a complete loss as to what to do.

Can anyone offer any advice? Anything is much appreciated.

Carrie

You may want to speak to your insurance company and see what you can do about correcting the mistake regarding the late payment. Hopefully it will be applied retroactively. I'd do this first.

The other driver can yell all she wants. Do not be intimidated. Simply because you didn't have insurance doesn't mean it's your fault but it does create a whole bunch of other problems. You may wish to speak to an attorney based upon how things work out with your insurance company.

Very important -- the traffic report by the officer. If it is written in your favor, you have leverage.

Additional note, if the other attorney already knows you have no coverage, then it is likely that they will want to settle for a lower amount if they can get it immediately. There is usually no sense in trying to get blood from a stone, if you understand the analogy. But remember, it is a significant advantage to have an attorney and a disadvantage to deal without one in such matters. You will need one to finalize any settlement....

all of this in my perspective, for what it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back