I was hit from behind and didn't know the law

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtpepper

I was waiting at a stoplight in St. Louis when a man hit me from behind. This caused my car to push forward and bump the car in front of me. The man that hit me had no damage and I had no damage, but the woman in front of me had a bent license plate. She asked for my information, so I gave it to her, but I had no damage so I didn't get information from the man behind me. There was no police report and no witness information was taken.

Later I find that my mother had stopped paying the insurance, so I was uninsured. The woman that took my information sent a $1500 bill to her insurance for straightening out the license plate, and they hired a collection agency to get the payment from me. They said I had to pay, so I started making payments of $100 a month which I have been doing for several months now. Now she has sent the insurance a $5000 bill for "medical expenses" which they are saying I must pay.

I have now come to find out that I should not be considered responsible and it is actually the man who hit me who is responsible for paying her. If what I am told is correct, it is her responsibility to get the information from the man behind me, not mine.

What are my options now? Should I simply stop making payments and ignore the $5000 bill sent to me? I did nothing wrong. There is no way I should be liable for any payment to this woman.

Any information you can provide would be very helpful.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back