I was asked to participate in insurance fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemom31

Jurisdiction
Florida
My neighbor fell on my porch and was injured. She fell because she was slightly inebriated and lost her balance. I was with her when it happened. Her injuries were significant and required hospitalization. After she came home she said she was going to say she fell because of a defect in the deck and said she would pay me to go along with it. I refused, of course. The property in question is a rental property, and I notified the landlord of the conversation. A few weeks later I received a letter from a law firm telling me that she had retained them in the matter and demanding I give them any video evidence. My landlord was named also. I'm not concerned that she will win a judgement because there is no evidence. I am, however, furious that she even asked me to commit fraud, and is now going ahead with her scam. Is this something I can report to local law enforcement? It seems like there should be some consequence for her behavior.

Is this something I can report to local law enforcement?

A person can report anything to law enforcement.

In the matter you cite, neither of you have proof she said anything to you.

The best thing you can do for yourself is DON'T take on the role of people purifier.

Be careful with those you invite into your life, as very few are worthy of your trust.

It seems like there should be some consequence for her behavior.

It isn't your job to make sure miscreants are punished.

I suggest you stay as far away from this pile of steaming horse excrement as you can.

The property in question is a rental property, and I notified the landlord of the conversation.

Oh, you're a tenant. Do you have renter's insurance? If yes, report the claim to your insurance company and let the experts handle it.

If you don't have renter's insurance, (oh well, now you know why you should have it) you'll need to hire your own lawyer to defend you should you be sued. Your landlord's insurance will protect him, not you.

A few weeks later I received a letter from a law firm telling me that she had retained them in the matter and demanding I give them any video evidence. My landlord was named also.

Your landlord was "named"? In a letter?

I'm not concerned that she will win a judgement because there is no evidence.

Of course there is (or will be) evidence. Her testimony is evidence.

Is this something I can report to local law enforcement?

Of course you can. You can report anything to anyone. At least I'm assuming you have that ability. Is that really the only question you intended to ask?

By the way, if you haven't already done so, you need to report this to your renter's insurance carrier (assuming you have renter's insurance).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back