I want to be emancipated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

larachoate

I am 15 years old and I am a sophomore in high school because I was allowed to skip the 7th grade and I am being allowed to graduate next year at the end of my junior year, it's all already been approved. I've had a job before, I am unemployed at the moment but I don't want to be. My parents have made it very hard to live with them; I've cut myself and ran away from home on several occasions. Neither my mother of my father hit me on a regular basis but when my father gets heated my sisters have cried because it sounded like murder. I want to know what the chances of me being emancipated would be. I graduate next year, I have another stable place to live, and I can easily find a job to handle my needs. For my future I would need a car and I know how to save money plus when the time comes I will most likely be given a car by my grandparents and I would need money for college but my grades and reputation are so well that I will be getting scholarships and possibly grants along with loans that I can pay off in time. Also, the home I plan to live at is within a mile radius of my home now, I am not trying to run away from any kind of relationship with my parents, they just stress me out and I have often thought of suicide although I've never told them, they take me as a joke. Also, I just can't stand the fact that I was put on the pill so they wouldn't have to worry about my boyfriend and I and now I am not allowed to see him at all or they have threatened to press charges. I love him too much to put him in that position and he is not by any means the only reason I am seeking emancipation. Most people graduate at 18 and are adults, I'll be 16 and I will be in college and expect to be treated as an adult. Another reason is college, they want me to settle at a community college and I want to go to a University. I can go on for pages but I really just need a lawyer to hear my entire story and help me get emancipated at any cost. I am tired of being a respected junior at school and hanging out with 17-20 year old classmates and friends who have their liberties and I do not. I want to be an adult, I've grown up this much, and I can do it.

There is no way you're going to be emancipated. Period.

Emancipation is really meant for minors who (for example), through no fault of their own (parents died in a crash, again for example) need the ability to sign a lease, get the power bill transferred etc. It is not for teens who don't like their home situation.

You are cutting yourself and thinking of suicide? There is no judge in the land who will emancipate you.

If you are being abused, please call CPS and/or 911.

iam not physically abused but verbally, yes iam. everyday of my life. and my sister was 17 when my parents let her move out, they wont let me and this is what i need to do so. she moved out because she was unhappy, obviously my parents suck. and who are you telling me i wont be emancipated ? ive done everything ive ever wanted to do, and this will be one of them.

I stopped just a couple sentences in where you said you cut yourself and ran away... you already had little chance of being emancipated, but with that on your record you have zero chance- you have shown that you are not responsible and can't care for yourself.

iam not physically abused but verbally, yes iam. everyday of my life. and my sister was 17 when my parents let her move out, they wont let me and this is what i need to do so. she moved out because she was unhappy, obviously my parents suck. and who are you telling me i wont be emancipated ? ive done everything ive ever wanted to do, and this will be one of them.

Emancipation means that you are fully supporting yourself and that you are mature and responsible enough to take care of yourself.

Hon, you are cutting yourself and threatened suicide.

You're not going to be legally emancipated.

Do you actually understand what emancipation entails and how rare it is?

If you are being abused, contact the police, school officials, a minister, or 911.

You won't be emancipated, however.

You'll end up incarcerated in a juvenile facility, a mental hospital, or a foster home!

There are only two states that will even consider emancipating a 15 year old; neither of those states is Maryland; in the two states that will there are very definite requirements that you have to meet and nothing you have posted suggests that you meet them.

You will not be emancipated. Period.

It appears that no real emancipation statute is in place in MD.

For more, go here:

http://www.peoples-law.org/children/emancipation/emancipation home.htm

And given what you have written, here, no judge will grant emancipation to you even when you get older.

I am sure even my teens would claim to be "verbally abused" because they do get yelled at and scolded. That hardly counts as abuse.

If you are cutting yourself there are some fairly serious psychological issues that you are dealing with. You have absolutely no chance of being emancipated. If you stand back and read your post as a third party would you might be able to see why. You sound very much like a confused child in your post. I'm sure you will take that as an insult but it is not meant to be. You are in a difficult time in your life. It is not made any easier because you are intellectually ahead of your age. But intellect is not maturity and your post shows a significant lack of emotional maturity.

I don't mean to pick on you but I'm going to say one more thing. I have advanced educational degrees. If you submitted anything to me written like that post you would be hard pressed to get a scholarship. No one is trying to talk down to you, least of all me. I was in your position once, you are not the only person to be stuck in that awkward time, all of us have been there. Make the best of it. Grow, learn and mature.

Don't lash out and attack us because we are not telling you what you want to hear. Show us that you are an adult and can accept the realities of life. Slow down, adulthood will come soon enough, and when it does NO ONE is really ready for it.

I hope you are on some anti-depressants and in therapy. It will help. Good luck.

If you are cutting yourself there are some fairly serious psychological issues that you are dealing with. You have absolutely no chance of being emancipated. If you stand back and read your post as a third party would you might be able to see why. You sound very much like a confused child in your post. I'm sure you will take that as an insult but it is not meant to be. You are in a difficult time in your life. It is not made any easier because you are intellectually ahead of your age. But intellect is not maturity and your post shows a significant lack of emotional maturity.

I don't mean to pick on you but I'm going to say one more thing. I have advanced educational degrees. If you submitted anything to me written like that post you would be hard pressed to get a scholarship. No one is trying to talk down to you, least of all me. I was in your position once, you are not the only person to be stuck in that awkward time, all of us have been there. Make the best of it. Grow, learn and mature.

Don't lash out and attack us because we are not telling you what you want to hear. Show us that you are an adult and can accept the realities of life. Slow down, adulthood will come soon enough, and when it does NO ONE is really ready for it.

I hope you are on some anti-depressants and in therapy. It will help. Good luck.

Excellent post.

I was one of the few in NC to be granted an emancipation in 2007, and I didn't just get one because I was tired of living with my parents. I had to work 2 jobs to pay for myself, go to school, keep up my grades, plus I was pretty involved in clubs and sports. I had to prove to the judge that I was already capable of caring for myself. I moved in with my grandparents because nobody is willing to rent a house or an apartment to someone of high school age. My grandparents (and your boyfriend) can kick you out at any time, they have no responsibility toward you. My grandparents moved away my senior year of high school, and I moved 4 times that year because the families I lived with got tired of taking care of me. The 3rd house I lived in was a girl I went to school with, her little brother, her mom, and her stepdad. One night, her stepdad got drunk while the rest of her family was out of town and sexually assaulted me and I moved out that night, leaving all of my belongings at the house for them to throw away. I lost all of my baby pictures, family photos, mostly all of my clothes, and my important belongings (anything the girl couldn't carry with her to school, since there was no way in hell I was going back to that house). I was homeless for 2 weeks before I found a place to live, and when I left for college they said I couldn't use their address as my home address. Every year for FAFSA I have to mail off emancipation papers and explain to 5 different people why I don't have an address, and that I really am a resident of NC.

Just deal with your parents' shit. You'll be out of that house in a few years, I promise it's not as bad as you think. I seriously doubt you'll be with your boyfriend by the time you're old enough to decide to move out anyways. Being emancipated sucks.

I was one of the few in NC to be granted an emancipation in 2007, and I didn't just get one because I was tired of living with my parents. I had to work 2 jobs to pay for myself, go to school, keep up my grades, plus I was pretty involved in clubs and sports. I had to prove to the judge that I was already capable of caring for myself. I moved in with my grandparents because nobody is willing to rent a house or an apartment to someone of high school age. My grandparents (and your boyfriend) can kick you out at any time, they have no responsibility toward you. My grandparents moved away my senior year of high school, and I moved 4 times that year because the families I lived with got tired of taking care of me. The 3rd house I lived in was a girl I went to school with, her little brother, her mom, and her stepdad. One night, her stepdad got drunk while the rest of her family was out of town and sexually assaulted me and I moved out that night, leaving all of my belongings at the house for them to throw away. I lost all of my baby pictures, family photos, mostly all of my clothes, and my important belongings (anything the girl couldn't carry with her to school, since there was no way in hell I was going back to that house). I was homeless for 2 weeks before I found a place to live, and when I left for college they said I couldn't use their address as my home address. Every year for FAFSA I have to mail off emancipation papers and explain to 5 different people why I don't have an address, and that I really am a resident of NC.

Just deal with your parents' shit. You'll be out of that house in a few years, I promise it's not as bad as you think. I seriously doubt you'll be with your boyfriend by the time you're old enough to decide to move out anyways. Being emancipated sucks.

Thank you for sharing your story.

I hope that it helps someone that is struggling with these issues!

God bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back