Roomate I want out...

nufella

Jurisdiction
Georgia
  • My roommate and I moved into a 2 bedroom, 2 bath house on July 20th. I am not on the lease. Our oral agreement is that we will split everything, 50/50. I've known my roommate for ten years but, you really get to know a person when you live with them. We are just friends. I am retired and she stills works. On August 1st. when I refused to tear up a box to put in the trash, she became enraged and told me that she was not going to live with some one who just laid around all day. She told me to get out. After she realized that she needed me to help pay rent and utilities, she relented. Since then, it;s been one thing after another-nit picking. She sees everyone else's faults but not her own. I have come to realize that she chose me to be her roommate because she has this "nice-nasty" persona and no one (apparently except me) wants to deal with her on a daily basis.
  • I cannot. I will not live with her beyond 90 days. How do I break this oral agreement without being liable? I am tempted to just leave but I want to remain a gentleman.
  • Please help and thank you very much.

You were told to "get out".
Be smart, and just get out.
You are under no legal obligation to stay there one more hour.
I'd give her next month's rent, as a gesture of good will, and I'd be gone within the next 7-10 days.

As we grow older, roommate scenarios rarely work out as expected.

Heck, 50% of marriages fail annually, so why not expect a higher rate of roommate failures?

Get your own place, its much better that way.

I retired about 10 years ago, completely.
I semi-retired ten years prior to that.
My wife tried that nonsense on me.
I told her, I don't complain about you working, don't complain about me relaxing.
Besides, when I was 17 years old I went to 'Nam.
I did four tours in 'Nam.
I did 30 years and retired from the army.
The only work I do today is my personal hygiene.

Get your own place, mate, you deserve your peace, quiet, and alone time.

Agree, you can leave & she told you to leave. You are not on the lease & have no written signed agreement. So many times these living together situations never work out.

You were told to "get out".
Be smart, and just get out.
You are under no legal obligation to stay there one more hour.
I'd give her next month's rent, as a gesture of good will, and I'd be gone within the next 7-10 days.

As we grow older, roommate scenarios rarely work out as expected.

Heck, 50% of marriages fail annually, so why not expect a higher rate of roommate failures?

Get your own place, its much better that way.

I retired about 10 years ago, completely.
I semi-retired ten years prior to that.
My wife tried that nonsense on me.
I told her, I don't complain about you working, don't complain about me relaxing.
Besides, when I was 17 years old I went to 'Nam.
I did four tours in 'Nam.
I did 30 years and retired from the army.
The only work I do today is my personal hygiene.

Get your own place, mate, you deserve your peace, quiet, and alone time.
Thanks Army Judge. You are right on point! I'm outta here as soon as I find an acceptable place. Thnx again,Judge!

Back