I stupidly didn't pay the IRS for my rental income, but want to, what to do?

kevpalvo77

Summary: spent all of my savings & more on a house, at a young age. took baddd advice & didnt pay taxes, what to do?

The full story:

I spent all of my savings on a house, at a young/immature age, shortly before Sandy hit (OCT 2012)

I took some terrible advice from my stepdad and his landlord friend "just dont accept section 8, there's nothing to worry about, I've been doing this for years"

I was money OBSESSED and it seemed like a no brainer. I've come to my senses now, and have been stressin this for like a year now, going to see a lawyer soon but wanted others input as well

I've had three sets of tenants. Haven't paid the IRS at all.

I believe the first set of tenants, I may or may not have actually deposited their checks in my bank account (which I've closed months ago, as a precautionary measure)

Second tenant, those may or may not have went in that bank account

Third set of tenants definitely have.

No idea how many months all together the property was vacant, because I only have lease start dates, not end dates (to determine what's actually owed)
I also, have no idea about anything else that could have been filed on my taxes for housing in that time (maintenance, etc) --- in other words i have no way of figuring out what I actually owe

What could a lawyer do for me? Do I just pay one for an hour or two of his time for advice? or is there more they can do? do i just say hey, i have an issue, let me pay you for 2 hours of your time for some advice? do i just start paying now as if i just got the house and hope i get lucky? literally no idea how to handle this without a time machine.

To make things even more messy, if I fess up, pay, and get audited: i also have paid very little tax on a side business that I run (no, not drugs, nothing illegitimate). I generally just go to the bank on the check and cash it that way, but that probably wasnt the case 2+ years ago. in other words, i probably have some unexplainable cash in my bank as well.

Anyway, thanks in advance. just looking for some advice/opinions/etc.

I suggest you talk to a CPA, not an attorney.

Another option is a tax attorney, far more expensive than a CPA.

That is why I suggest seeing a CPA first, have a discussion, go from there.

The IRS won't be a criminal issue, if you follow through and work to right your ship.

You're about to take the first step, assess your situation, go from there.

There are also a number of "tax relief" agencies you can talk to, but hold off on that until you've consulted a couple of CPAs.

ah, a CPA instead? thanks!
helpful info in such a short period of time. i had three tax attorneys lined up to meet with (to at least sit down and see if i like what they say)
i'll look up some CPA reviews now as well, what kind of price difference are we talking about?
thanks army!

I agree a cpa may give you better information about how your money works and explain what your liabilities are. Depending on the news you get from that meeting you might follow up with a tax attorney.
You can only modify taxes for a certain number of years. You might be in the clear for a portion of the time. For the rest you'd file amendments to the previous years. The CPA will know all about it.

clear?! no way. really? people would gamble with that all the time
theyd just like ok, i wont pay taxes for two years and then ill start, cuz my chances of getting caught are sim, you know?

im def gonna meet with at least a couple CPA's and at minimum one lawyer, im thinking CPA first

CPA and it may not be as bad as you think. Yes you should report the rental income you collected, but you also get a number of deductions ie: insurance, property tax, repairs and depreciation.

CPA and it may not be as bad as you think. Yes you should report the rental income you collected, but you also get a number of deductions ie: insurance, property tax, repairs and depreciation.

thank you, between your and another's post that makes me feel much better. my only hesitation is that i have no proof of the money ive spent, but hopefully i can fix that. thanks so much txls, and everyone else. this might not be nearly as bad as i thought.

Back