I resigned from teaching in September before school term started, school is asking me for money

Akul

Jurisdiction
United Kingdom
Hi, I am a graduate training teacher (unqualified teacher) I left school without notice for personal reasons and work related stress. I left during summer holidays before the school term started. The school is asking me to pay them 4 weeks of my salary pay to their account citing payment in lieu of notice in the contract. To cover the 4 weeks' notice period I did not give and breach of contract.

Since I have not been signed off of probation it's my understanding that the notice period of 1 week applies as stated in contract. I sent them a letter on the 29th August explaining I am resigning immediately and cannot give the 1 week notice unfortunately.

Why is the school asking me for money?

I did not leave middle of term which means they have little damage from my sudden resignation. I am confused as I am not a teacher, I was only under paid training to acquire teaching qualification but since I can't cope with the work related stress and have decided to not pursue any career in education anymore then I should be allowed to leave without having to pay them £1783 for leaving without notice.

I'm sorry, but wage and hour laws in the US and the UK are not the same and this is a US based forum.

This is all dependent upon the terms of your contract which we are not able to review. You might speak with a local attorney who is able to review the contract with you.
If the contract required that you give notice, whether four weeks or just one week, and you did not give that notice, then you should expect some penalty for violating the terms of the agreement. It might not be four weeks pay, but you should expect a penalty.

Since I have not been signed off of probation it's my understanding that the notice period of 1 week applies as stated in contract.

Is that your "understanding" or is that what is written word for word in the contract?

If it's WRITTEN in the contract that only one week's notice is required while you are only on probation, and you didn't give it, you may owe only a week's pay to the school.

Beyond that, I also suggest you have that contract reviewed by a local attorney.

Back