I owe back child support, if I get married will my fiance be held accountable for my Dept?

Rachael7791

Jurisdiction
Illinois
I currently oew back child support and my fiance of 10 years is afraid if we get legally married that he'll be held accountable or responsible for my dept. Is there a form that'll protect him. Is that what a prenup is?

No, your spouse won't be liable for your back child support.

Just make sure you NEVER own anything jointly, no cars, no houses, no bank accounts, no nothing. Sole and separate is what will protect his money.

Is there a form that'll protect him. Is that what a prenup is?

Forms don't protect anything or anyone.

A prenup protects assets, if one party has $500,000,000 in cash, when she plans to marry a dude with a mere $50 in cash, a record of 40 felony convictions with 25 years in prisons, a meth habit, and no employment prospects.

With 10 years of back child support chasing you, don't ever file any JOINT income tax returns.

If you do, the ENTIRE amount to be refunded will be confiscated by the taxing authorities each year.

Forms don't protect anything or anyone.

A prenup protects assets, if one party has $500,000,000 in cash, when she plans to marry a dude with a mere $50 in cash, a record of 40 felony convictions with 25 years in prisons, a meth habit, and no employment prospects.

With 10 years of back child support chasing you, don't ever file any JOINT income tax returns.

If you do, the ENTIRE amount to be refunded will be confiscated by the taxing authorities each year.

Yes, but then the funds are held (~6 months) so the spouse of the non-paying NCP can file for 'injured spouse' status to get their part of the refund back. But it does take time.

No, your spouse won't be liable for your back child support.

Just make sure you NEVER own anything jointly, no cars, no houses, no bank accounts, no nothing. Sole and separate is what will protect his money.

I agree, and a prenup could be a useful part of this. The two of you should consult with a local attorney, but the smartest thing you can do is figure out a plan to pay the debt that you owe.

I currently oew back child support and my fiance of 10 years is afraid if we get legally married that he'll be held accountable or responsible for my dept. Is there a form that'll protect him. Is that what a prenup is?

No your spouse would not be accountable for YOUR child support arrears. Absolutely not. The only thing that would affect your spouse is if you file joint taxes and they take the arrears out of your tax return. But I believe the spouse can file something to get their portion refunded. I'm no expert though. Just something I recalled reading.

Thanks
No your spouse would not be accountable for YOUR child support arrears. Absolutely not. The only thing that would affect your spouse is if you file joint taxes and they take the arrears out of your tax return. But I believe the spouse can file something to get their portion refunded. I'm no expert though. Just something I recalled reading.

Back