I NEED HELP

ZaniahB

Jurisdiction
Alabama
My 20 year old sister is trying to get custody of me because my father is verbally and now physically abusing me . On MARCH 18TH, 2017 he beat me with a belt which left my back in a lot of pain and swollen , and I had to seek medical attention , the doctors had to give me a shot for the pain . Tuscaloosa DHR was called & they put a safety plan into place , yesterday at school the DHR worker came and talked to me she told me the safety plan was ending on April 1st , 2018 . I am afraid of what is going to happen next at the home because I know my dad is very angry at me for telling someone what has happened to me , I need help , I am afraid to return back to him but DHR is saying I have to go back . Is there anything I or my sister can do within this 5 day time frame to help me ? I am afraid to go back , talk to , and see my father . When I went to go pick up my clothes from his girlfriends home yesterday , once I seen him I started shaking . I am emotionally tired of the abuse & physically , he drinks , he yells , and curses , he is starting to abuse me , and I know he is very upset with me . I am trying to seek help before it becomes to late . His girlfriends daughter told me yesterday if I don't have to come back don't , I'm afraid of him and what might happen next . He does not have a home of his own and not to mention between the end of January and beginning of February his girlfriend put her hands on me and left bruises on my arms. Is there anything I can do ?

Is there anything I can do ?

How old are you?

When is your NEXT birthday, month and day only, please.

You can call the worker you spoke with and ask to speak with her/him ASAP.

When you meet with the worker again, explain your fears about potential retaliation from your father towards you.

Ask the worker if she/he could recommend options OTHER than returning you to your dad.

Tell the worker your sister will to foster you temporarily until a permanent solution can be found.

Ask the worker if it can be arranged to have you speak with a child psychologist.

Make sure the worker knows your fears.

You can also speak with a school guidance counselor about the beatings and your fears of future beatings.

Inform the counselor that your sister is ready to foster you to keep you from being beaten to a bloody pulp.

I agree with speaking to a school counselor. Be truthful. If you exaggerate to try and get what you want out of it the whole thing can backfire on you.

At a minimum you will need parent permission to stay with your sister. Your sister should obtain that permission in writing.

Your 20 year old sister is just a year into her majority in Alabama. DHR may not have much faith in her abilities at this point.

Talk to the DHR worker; see if there is placement that can be used.

How old are you?

When is your NEXT birthday, month and day only, please.

You can call the worker you spoke with and ask to speak with her/him ASAP.

When you meet with the worker again, explain your fears about potential retaliation from your father towards you.

Ask the worker if she/he could recommend options OTHER than returning you to your dad.

Tell the worker your sister will to foster you temporarily until a permanent solution can be found.

Ask the worker if it can be arranged to have you speak with a child psychologist.

Make sure the worker knows your fears.

You can also speak with a school guidance counselor about the beatings and your fears of future beatings.

Inform the counselor that your sister is ready to foster you to keep you from being beaten to a bloody pulp.

15 , March 5th , i have talked to a counselor at my school , the DHR worker seems to be on his side

I agree with speaking to a school counselor. Be truthful. If you exaggerate to try and get what you want out of it the whole thing can backfire on you.

At a minimum you will need parent permission to stay with your sister. Your sister should obtain that permission in writing.

He will not let me stay with her , i've tried asking him but he won't voluntarily let me stay with her

Your 20 year old sister is just a year into her majority in Alabama. DHR may not have much faith in her abilities at this point.

Talk to the DHR worker; see if there is placement that can be used.

She is young but my mom passed in 2016 and she has done very well , has a job , a house , i have my own room at her house , and she is able to get me back & forth to school

15 , March 5th , i have talked to a counselor at my school , the DHR worker seems to be on his side

You are too far away from majority for DHR to do anything that would jeopardize your safety.

Again, I suggest you reach out to the social worker and ask to meet with him or her.

Make your pitch, but if it is shot down, you'll need to say (if it is TRUE), "I am afraid to go back to that evil house. My sister warned me to not come back, because my father is angry with me and says he'll make me pay. I'm afraid he'll (INSERT YOUR ISSUES HERE ---rape me, beat me, abuse me, not feed me, make me sleep on the back porch, make me eat dog food, etc---)"

You might also meet again with a counselor, or even the principal, the police or the sheriff.

Back