Rent, Utilities I need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helpneeded

Me and My father just signded a lease for a year at this apartment complex, we were very desperate to find something that we signded the very next day. I honestly do not think he will be Able to afford it and he agrees, is there any way we can cancel the lease/contract, its only been two days since we have signed and we only have a couple of boxes inside. Please help

Unfortunately, there is no "cooling off" period with a lease contract where a tenant can simply back out of a lease after signing one.

Review your lease to determine if it contains a "buy out" clause.

Gail

Me and My father just signded a lease for a year at this apartment complex, we were very desperate to find something that we signded the very next day. I honestly do not think he will be Able to afford it and he agrees, is there any way we can cancel the lease/contract, its only been two days since we have signed and we only have a couple of boxes inside. Please help

If you speak with the landlord, explain your weak financial situation, (assuming you haven't moved in) and ask if the landlord will he or she allow you to pay $200, $500 (whatever you think is fair); to have him or her void the contract.

It sometimes works to be honest with people.

I've seen a couple landlords charge nothing to let you go.
Why?
An eviction costs money, so letting you go before that, is often a smart financial decision.

Sometimes, as Gail said, you can buy your way out.
That's even more expensive than one month's rent (usually 3 to 6 months), and often required in full.

Whatever agreement that the LL offers, be sure to get it in writing, and you both sign it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back