I need advice ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crystal05

Jurisdiction
Texas
I am currently buying a 2007 tahoe from a dealership .I have had it for almost a year now .I got pulled over yesterday night because my tail light is out but when they ran my plates and registration they did not match and they started to ask me a thousand questions they said the plates are expired they were going to take my car but i had my kids with me so they didnt instead they removed my plates and told me togo home and call my dealership where i got my car because something is wrong .So next day i call and tell them what happened and they said its not on their end they did what that needed todo correctly with Paper work on plates.. ok but why did that happen to me if all paper work was done correctly?and now i gotta take proof of registration and insurance which is fine but cant they get in trouble or something for this kind of situation? im thankful i didn't get pulled over somewhere else like out of town they would of towed my car and then i would be stuck and spending more money than i need to because of their mistake. i work alot to makes ends meet and take my 5 kids where they need to these last 2 days car is parked cause i have no ride right now togo do that stuff i got to wait till Friday in mean time i have to walk my 7 yr to school in this dam cold weather like pointless of having a car if i can use and making payments on it

Last edited:
Other then an incorrectly used ellipses and then another attempt at an ellipses (also incorrectly used), there isn't a single punctuation mark in that entire mass of text.

Did you have a question?

why did that happen to me if all paper work was done correctly?

When you contacted the "dealership", what were you told?

No need to repeat it here, write it down, then visit your county treasurer's office.

If you live in Harris County, this is their website:

TxDMV.GOV - Harris County Tax Office

Harris County Tax Office Locations:

1001 Preston St.
Houston, Texas 77002

Main Telephone:(713) 274-8000

Their website shows many satellite offices, one is likely close to where you live or work.

Also in many local grocery stores.

The website:

TxDMV.GOV - Harris County Tax Office

Talk to the dealer, talk to the county tax office, if you want to begin the process of fixing this mess.

Once you speak to the county tax people, you'll learn HOW to get this corrected, or if the dealer lied.

This is where you file a complaint against used car dealers:

TxDMV.GOV - Contact

We investigate complaints against vehicle dealers licensed to sell vehicles in Texas. You can file a complaint whether you are a consumer or a vehicle dealer. For additional information or assistance with enforcement actions, call us at (888) 368-4689 or (512) 465-4204.

Online complaint, but I suggest you call and talk to someone first:

Texas Department of Motor Vehicles - Submit a Complaint

Good luck.

I am currently buying a 2007 tahoe from a dealership .I have had it for almost a year now .I got pulled over yesterday night because my tail light is out but when they ran my plates and registration they did not match and they started to ask me a thousand questions they said the plates are expired they were going to take my car but i had my kids with me so they didnt instead they removed my plates and told me togo home and call my dealership where i got my car because something is wrong .So next day i call and tell them what happened and they said its not on their end they did what that needed todo correctly with Paper work on plates.. ok but why did that happen to me if all paper work was done correctly?and now i gotta take proof of registration and insurance which is fine but cant they get in trouble or something for this kind of situation? im thankful i didn't get pulled over somewhere else like out of town they would of towed my car and then i would be stuck and spending more money than i need to because of their mistake. i work alot to makes ends meet and take my 5 kids where they need to these last 2 days car is parked cause i have no ride right now togo do that stuff i got to wait till Friday in mean time i have to walk my 7 yr to school in this dam cold weather like pointless of having a car if i can use and making payments on it
What exactly is your question? I see that you edited in some punctuation, but never did actually ask a question.

ETA: Sorry Crystal...I see there is one question kinda hidden in there.

Is it the dealer's job to renew tags in Texas?

No, the dealer is charged with making sure the title is delivered and the vehicle is delivered with the correct plates.

Plates in Texas (on used vehicles) stay with the vehicle.

When it is time to renew the plates, that is a task the owner is required to do.

In many cases (all across the land) unscrupulous used car dealers use nefarious practices, rather than making sure the title is good before buying and/or selling vehicles.

If the title has issues, whoever holds that title will have trouble obtaining plates.

As with most things in life, the least (as in needy) among us, get screwed.

Many buyers don't understand what must be done when buying a vehicle, so crooked dealers simply pass along their "bad pennies" to unsuspecting, trusting buyers.

I suspect that is what has occurred with our OP.

Perhaps our OP will return and clear up a few things that puzzle our "helpers" (myself included), even though I think I've figured it out.

That's why I like the way my state (AR) does it. When you buy a car, new or used, you go to the DMV (though they don't call it that here) and handle that yourself. If there is a problem you find it right away not a year later.

That's why I like the way my state (AR) does it. When you buy a car, new or used, you go to the DMV (though they don't call it that here) and handle that yourself. If there is a problem you find it right away not a year later.
That's how Massachusetts does it as well. When you sell your car you turn in the plates to the RMV. IMO it's more logical that way.

That is one approach, and it works.

The approach in Texas works, too, if the potential buyer is aware.

The issue that is brewing here seems to have to do with title fraud, which is prevalent all across the nation.

The bigger issue is why must cars be licensed?
Our ancestors never licensed their horse, mules, oxen, wagons, stagecoaches, or surreys.

Government has grown far beyond what our founders ever envisioned without the benefits touted by those who tax and regulate all human behavior.

Yet, the lawless seem totally unaffected, if one reviews crime stats.

I apologize for digressing, but I find very little that anything any government does to the people as praiseworthy.

They branded their horses, mules, oxen and marked their wagons, stagecoaches, and surreys and just shot or hung anybody who stole or attempted to steal them.

:D

I brand my cattle, mules, and horses.

Never had to shoot a rustler, but our co-op "ranger" has.

He's also arrested several.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back