Consumer Law, Warranties I need advice on this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzanneri

Apparently I am not the only one who got tricked with this one. On a website called Complaints Board.com here is what another guy said:

"I received a phone call from USOAG with an opportunity to sell satellite dishes in June 2006. I paid the startup fees and paid for the site link I was required to provide. I also printed out fliers and took them around the area. This was a great expense as well. I set up my own business site to provide a link source. I was told that if I did all these things I would make lots of money. There was a period in which I could get a refund but that period covered the time it took to just get the site up and running.

Then I get the call AFTER the the refund time had lapsed to inform me that unless I put up over a thousand dollars for prompting the site then I won't make money. I told the rep that I was informed that if I did the aforementioned I would see a great profit and was not needing to do anything else. So I was mislead and there was no recourse. I kept my sites going and tried other ways to promote and followed suggestions given. No results...

I did some research and found there were others who were scammed as well. I informed USOAG I was terminating with them. I canceled my CC with them. I kept getting calls from them and then eventually collections. I lost money on this scam and I had made the monthly payments until I found out that this was a stinking rat!"

Now here is what's happening to Me:
In response to this, you had told me that a rep would call me. Well, it took, probably on purpose, (more than 2 weeks) time to receive this call. And when I did receive this call, they wanted over $2000 that I do not have in order to advertise my sites. No, this is not correct. I tried to cancel you refused. For a measly 19.95 you can cancel my membership and stop giving me hardship. I am copying this and forwarding it to my lawyer.
Thanks,

[personal info deleted]

Dear

Unfortunately, we will be unable to process your request for cancellation due to the fact that you are beyond the 14 day period for returns as stated in your agreement. This agreement is legally binding for the period of one year from the date of purchase. As explained in paragraph five of your Associate Buyers Agreement (ABA, Example Below)

V. All terms of this agreement are binding for one year from the date of purchase. Your monthly hosting fee will begin 30 days after the date of purchase for one year. After the initial term noted above, this agreement shall continue on a month-to-month basis, until either party terminates this agreement by submitting thirty (30) days written notice to the other party. By signing this agreement the distributor agrees to any and all charges that are listed in the invoice within this set up package.

VI. Every effort has been made to accurately represent our products and their potential. Any claims made in testimonials and examples may be exceptional results, and may not apply to the average purchaser and are not intended to represent or guarantee that anyone will achieve the same or similar results. Each individual's success depends on his or her background, dedication, desire and motivation. As with any business endeavor, there is an inherent risk of loss of capital and there is no guarantee that you will earn any money.

The 14 day period is designed as trial period which is to be used to evaluate the program for your benefit as the consumer

This paragraph is located on the 2nd page of your ABA:

This is your activation buyer's agreement. This will allow you to activate your websites. By signing below I accept these terms and agreements and I request that my websites be activated immediately in my name for a minimum period of one year. I have read and agree to all terms and conditions of the affiliate program agreements/operating agreements found on each of the affiliate's website I signed up with. Furthermore, I give U.S. Online America Group permission to set up my association with Amazon, AllSat, Free Direct Program, iDish, Dish Pronto, Expert Satellite, Sterling Satellite, and All American Dish.

The return policy is as follows:

IV. U.S. Online America Group offers a 14-day return policy; 14 days after the date of purchase. You can return the product or service and receive a full refund minus first month hosting and any set up or processing fees. U.S. Online America Group will not refund any advertising cost incurred by the distributor.

Unfortunately, due to the current circumstances we will require that you fulfill you agreement, or pay the remainder of your web hosting fees for the yearly obligation. In consideration of possible unforeseen circumstances we may offer you a settlement for your remaining fees.

Thank you for your prompt attention on this matter.

Sincerely,
===============================
Is there a way I can get out of this contract. I really feel like I've been scammed here.
Thanks to whomever answers this plea,

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back