I lived with a tenant. The person passed away. Can they charge me rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMac

The lady that raised me, passed away. I moved from the apartment. I then applied for housing for myself. The housing authority said that the apartment complex said I owed them for last month rent, although I didn't sign any contract or agreement.

The lady that raised me, passed away. I moved from the apartment. I then applied for housing for myself. The housing authority said that the apartment complex said I owed them for last month rent, although I didn't sign any contract or agreement.

Are you an adult (age 18 or older)?

Are you of sound mind and body?

Did you (do you) have a court appointed guardian or a conservator attending to your affairs?

Were you on the lease of the deceased?

If not on the lease, were you granted approval to reside with the deceased?

It won't mater, just asking.

If the housing authority says you can't be cleared until you pay the rent due, you'll have to get the deceased's landlord to write a letter, addressed to the housing agency indicating you don't owe them any rent money.

It might be time to cut a deal, unless you get the housing agency to understand that you weren't legally responsible for the debts of the deceased adult.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:eek::blush:nuts:dgrin

Last edited:
If this is gov't housing, I suggest you appeal. Obtain a copy of the bill the prior apartment alleges you owe. I know in Ohio, when appealed, if you can show the debt is not valid or was not due to property damages, you will prevail. It might be the same for NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back