Pets I have a service dog that I had brought to my apartment from time to time.

Tobynme123

Jurisdiction
California
I have a service dog that I had brought to my apartment that I am Shari f with 3 other tenants from time to time. When we moved out last sept 30th my roommates had received the moving out bill in the amount of $1118.87. My 3 roommates just texted me two days ago telling me that I have to pay for the carpet replacement in the amount of over $1,000. They said because the carpet was replaced because of the Urine stain. But also on the inspection paper that I got a copy from the leasing office it states that because of the excessive stain in the living room and the secondary room which two of my roommates had occupied and the urine stain in the living room and master bedroom closet carpet person recommended to replace. My roommates are concluding that I am solely responsible for this charges. Please let me know what is my legal right regarding this matter. I know that there is a joint tenants clause that makes all the tenants responsible to any and all damages done in the apartment. Am I the only one responsible for the carpet replacement charge? Please advise.

I have a service dog that I had brought to my apartment that I am Shari f with 3 other tenants from time to time. When we moved out last sept 30th my roommates had received the moving out bill in the amount of $1118.87. My 3 roommates just texted me two days ago telling me that I have to pay for the carpet replacement in the amount of over $1,000. They said because the carpet was replaced because of the Urine stain. But also on the inspection paper that I got a copy from the leasing office it states that because of the excessive stain in the living room and the secondary room which two of my roommates had occupied and the urine stain in the living room and master bedroom closet carpet person recommended to replace. My roommates are concluding that I am solely responsible for this charges. Please let me know what is my legal right regarding this matter. I know that there is a joint tenants clause that makes all the tenants responsible to any and all damages done in the apartment. Am I the only one responsible for the carpet replacement charge? Please advise.

Yes, all of you are responsible.
Looks as if you've been tagged by the others because people tend not to urinate on the floor.
Dogs, on the other hand, are known to urinate anywhere.

I suggest you work it out with the others, before it gets ugly.

Looks as if you've been tagged by the others because people tend not to urinate on the floor.

I am trying to but the other three roommates is refusing to cooperate. The leasing manager is also in the bag with them. My parents are telling me to divide the amount into 4 and just pay my share and send my payment to the office to show in good faith that I am trying to pay my part. The leasing manager has stated to me that regardless of what is happening we are all responsible but then I think she is saying something different to the other three. Could I pay my part directly to the office and be done with this? Will the law allow me to settle my part and not get in trouble with what the rest if they don't want to pay? They are harassing me now because I refuse to agree with what they are telling me that I am solely responsible.

Could I pay my part directly to the office and be done with this?

You are free to send the LL 1/4 of the amount alleged owed.

However, someone will still owe the other 3/4.

It was YOUR dog, mate.
The claim is YOUR dog, not the other roommates urinated on the carpet.

You'll have to explain how your dog urinating on the carpet is in any way the responsibility of anyone BUT you!!!!!

That is what a judge will ask, too.

Will the law allow me to settle my part and not get in trouble with what the rest if they don't want to pay?

The LL will ultimately decide.
The LL can sue you, or sue the other three, too.
Just because it says "joint and severally liable", doesn't mean the LL must sue everyone.

The LL could choose to sue you alone.

You could then be forced to counterclaim against the other three roommates, if you don't believe you are solely responsible for the urine stains.

That said, if it goes to court, it will be a judge that decides.
Nothing will be decided here.
This will also ding your FICO, and could impact your ability to rent decent housing for decades.
Why?
If it goes to court, it becomes a civil court matter, and would probably show up when landlords investigate your background.
In some cases, the court filing can be seen by future employers, because it will be reflected on your FICO.

Think and proceed cautiously, mate.

I understand that. So even though the rug was not solely damaged by the urine stain? The individual carpet person checked the carpet and found other stains in the secondary room and the living room not counting the dog stain. Based on his recommendation the carpet needs to be changed not only because of the dog urine detected but because of the soiled stain in other areas as well. Should that not constitute shared responsibility? For the cost of the carpet?

Should that not constitute shared responsibility? For the cost of the carpet?

What I think doesn't matter.

My answers are irrelevant, other than to say a judge will decide if your LL sues.

You can counterclaim against the roomies based upon joint and several liability.

I am unable to predict what others will do.

You'll have to wait until a specific action is taken to determine your reaction.

So send your 1/4 payment to the landlord with a brief explanation of why you believe you are only liable for 1/4 then wait and see what happens. You might also send a copy of your explanation letter to the other 3 as well. If they decide not to accept your explanation and they believe otherwise, then they will take the matter to court and a judge will decide.

Back