Naturalization, Citizenship I got arrested for shoplifting in 2012 on Friday afternoon, kept in jail during the weekend, attend

Sarah21

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I got arrested for shoplifting in 2012 on Friday afternoon, kept in jail during the weekend, attend the court on Monday. the judge reduced the charge to disorderly conduct and gave me a one year probation, which I successfully completed. I waited 5 years, and now that I want to apply for naturalization, I am worried.
  • First i don't know what I am convicted of?
  • second, I don't know how this affects my citizenship process?
  • I don't know how to answer questions about arrest duration?
  • I've been told that since the probation was 1 year, I might be in trouble!!?
  • I also don't know what is the best documentation that I should prepare and send with my application? -what would be the best way to answer the naturalization examiner if they ask about this incidence? please help me. thank you

I got arrested for shoplifting in 2012 on Friday afternoon, kept in jail during the weekend, attend the court on Monday. the judge reduced the charge to disorderly conduct and gave me a one year probation, which I successfully completed. I waited 5 years, and now that I want to apply for naturalization, I am worried.
  • I also don't know what is the best documentation that I should prepare and send with my application? -what would be the best way to answer the naturalization examiner if they ask about this incidence? please help me. thank you

This website isn't equipped to provide lengthy legal advice.

In fact, we don't offer any legal advice.

If you doubt your ability to navigate US Immigration, you'll need to HIRE a lawyer, or search for legal services who offer such assistance to people in your position.

Thread closed - we can't offer legal advice or guidance.

The following is not legal advice. Without reviewing your records, we can't even begin to provide information that would be specific to you - so let's talk generally.

First, typically the issues surrounding crimes impacting immigration and naturalization issues usually revolve around crimes in moral turpitude, that which shows a bad character. There are arguments about whether a shoplifting charge would fall within such a "CIMT" crime. However based upon what you're telling me, you may not have been charged with shoplifting and only a disorderly conduct. If that is the case then you are extremely fortunate.

As to probation being longer than 1 year, I am unaware of how that would be of issue. Usually I hear about crimes where the potential period of incarceration is more than one year - which would constitute a felony offense. If that was the case, then you'd probably be in trouble.

From what you're telling me I'd still remain confident about chances for successful naturalization. However once you have an arrest and plea on your record, I would highly advise using an immigration attorney to assist with the naturalization process. It's probably one of the most important endeavors you will undertake. You will probably need to contact the court (or court clerk) to obtain documents and also confirm your understanding of what was the actual result. Everything you discuss will just be speculation without having your legal documents to confirm.

Back