Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft I found a money order and cashed it, now the police came to my door

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkle02

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Florida

I found a money order alomost 2 months ago for $400.00 with the reciept stub still attached, it was BLANK, NOTHING WAS FILLED IN. Everyone told me that the money order is basically cash and since the stub was still attached then I could not get in trouble, because it's like finding cash. So I cashed it and now today police came to question me, but I was not home and my fiance called me, so I called the police station and they told me they needed to ask me a few questions. So I went down there and at first denied it then just told them I found it and cashed it. The officers told me that if I bring back the amount of money which was the $400, then they would put it into evidence and when the case is forwarded to the state attorney or whatever then they would see that I gave the money and maybe the person who is pressing charges for the stolen money order will drop the charges. I asked for a copy of the case or report and the officer told me they will not have it available for 2-3 days. They also told me that there is still the chance that the person pressing charges will not drop them and if they don't then there will be a warrant put out for me.

I am so scared. I have never been in trouble or arressted before and I am freaking out. I went and withdrew the money and brought it back to the police station. I still could be arressted. I wanted to get the persons number and tell them I am so sorry and that I gave the police the money back, but I do not have the number or anything.

Does anyone know what might happen to me? What I could be charged with if the person decides to still press charges? Thank you.

"Everyone" was wrong. You could still be charged with theft. If someone robs a bank and then gives the money back, that doesn't negate the fact that they committed a crime in the first place.

You do not think I will get something less then theft since I have a clean record and have never been in trouble? If I would have thought I would get in trouble, I never would have cashed it.

I don't know what you will get. You asked what COULD happen and I told you.

You do not think I will get something less then theft since I have a clean record and have never been in trouble? If I would have thought I would get in trouble, I never would have cashed it.

Okay, what's done is done.
Going forward, make no admissions, give no statements, and do not speak to the police or prosecutor about this matter.

If you can afford it, hire a lawyer.
If you can't afford a lawyer and get arrested, remain silent, plead not guilty, do not discuss this or any other matter with authorities, and ask the court to appoint an attorney to represent you.

With your record, if you get convicted, you won't go to prison. The worst that will happen is probation, community service, a fine, and court costs. If you do get convicted, you might even get a deferred sentence. That means, follow the rules, complete the program, your record is wiped clean.

So now you wait and keep your mouth shut.
More than likely, this thing will blow over.

If it doesn't, you are innocent until proven guilty!!!

You have the right to remain silent.

For your sake, use it!!!

I already gave my statement that I found the money order and thought it was same as cash. I brought the money to the police department and now I do not know. They said it is up to the person who lost the money order, if they want to pursue the charges or drop them.

I already gave my statement that I found the money order and thought it was same as cash. I brought the money to the police department and now I do not know. They said it is up to the person who lost the money order, if they want to pursue the charges or drop them.

Yes, I read your account of the events.
I chose not to comment on your actions.
I won't comment on them now.
I suggest you read my post and try to adhere to my instructions.

Remember, what's done is done.
It is never prudent to give a statement to the police.
Your statement usually serves to help convict you.
The police are allowed to lie.
You on the other hand can get in hot water for doing so.
That is why I advise people not to talk to the police other than to provide their name, date of birth, address, and other biographical particulars.

For the record, even if you found a large amount of cash and kept it for yourself you could still get in trouble.... it is just more difficult to track cash is and you are less likely to be found.

Did you recieve anything from the police stating that you gave the money to them?

Nothing new. Still waiting to hear something from the state attorney. The clerk of the court said it is not in the system yet.

Then don't try. And particularly don't try in someone else's thread, where I don't see that I have responded at all.

OK guys, well the police picked me up today on a warrant and said even though I paid the money back, the woman still decided to press charges. It was aweful! I was stuck there for 6 hours! Most horrible experience! I have to go to court on Aug 2 and I do not have money for a lawyer! This should be great. I graduate from college in feb. but no one is going to hire me with a felony for grandtheft! I FOUND it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even the police in the jail said that they would hve cashed it to since it was BLANK with the STUB still attached!!! Man this sucks! But in FLORIDA anything 400 and up is grand theft and a felony! I feel like I should just drop out of school! No one will hire me after this :(

Hang on, Sparkle.

Lawyer up.

Shut up, as in remain silent.

Plead not guilty.

Ask the court to appoint a lawyer to represent you, if you have no funds.

It ain't over.

You've only been charged, not convicted.

I hope, for your sake, you didn't blab to the cops about this.

If you did, shut up, lawyer up, and wait!!!

Stay in school.

You're innocent, until proven guilty.

The judge will hopefully take your age, your in school, and you paid money back into consideration. Do as army said and clam up and lawyer up but stay in school. This will all be a distant memory very soon. Good luck

I think it would be wise to get a lawyer ASAP..... this would allow your attorney to speak with the DA about this issue prior to the court date. In turn it could keep this issue out of the court hands. Your attorney could get the DA to consider dropping the charge or reach an agreement to lessen the damage. If you don't have the money for a lawyer find a law firm with a big parking lot, large grass area.. offer to clean the parking lot, cut the grass, maybe they need painting done, cleaning the basement... something... LOL or borrow the money from someone. Your talking about a issue that will haunt you for the REST of your life so don't mess around with it.. You need to get this issue behind you quickly..

I have to go to court on Aug 2 and I do not have money for a lawyer!

When you appear in court you simply need to request a public defender. Don't say or do anything else. If you can't afford a lawyer the court will appoint one for you and you will come back to court at a later date.

...but no one is going to hire me with a felony for grandtheft!

It is very possible that you can get this reduced to something much less than grand theft. Your attorney will help you through it.

I FOUND it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, but instead of turning it in as lost property you cashed it and attempted to keep someone else's money as your own. A blank check does not mean that it is your check. The money belonged to someone else.

Even the police in the jail said that they would hve cashed it to since it was BLANK with the STUB still attached!!!

Then they too would have committed the same crime.

...in FLORIDA anything 400 and up is grand theft and a felony!

Considering the circumstances, I suspect it is highly unlikely this will be resolved as a felony. You will probably be offered a misdemeanor plea, but an attorney could help reduce it further.

I feel like I should just drop out of school! No one will hire me after this

Not true, but with the job market like it is you will find it easy to blame this situation for any difficulties you might have. There are lots of qualified workers without jobs right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back