Consumer Law, Warranties I did not sign the lease!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amykras

Last August (2001) I moved into an apartment with my friend Sarah. Sarah told me a couple times to go to the rental agency and sign the lease that she had already signed a year ago and terminates in August 2002. I never did get around to signing the lease but I did pay rent with a personal check August - December. So, on December 7th, Sara broke the news to me that she was going to move to Las Vegas on January 10. I told her to break the lease at this apartment because I would move in with a friend of mine. I left for Winter Break from December 19-January 7. When I returned, she said she broke the lease. I moved out on January13. Now the rental agency is harrassing me about the lease and who is responsible for paying the rent. Ralph at the rental place has know contacted me at my work and wants me to pay on the lease because we didn't make him aware of our departure. I thought Sarah broke the lease, so I didn't think to call.
Question: Am I held accountable for this lease?

Since nobody signed the lease, there is no lease to be broken. I'm sure the rental agency would harrass you for the money -- they should have followed up and obtained a signed lease. There is an argument to be made that there might be a 1 year renewal period as the lease "renewed" but I think that the argument is doubtful. At this point I would think that the maximum liability of you or your roomate would be to give the landlord 1 month's notice of moving out as you had a month to month agreement. Other opinions may differ but this is what it seems to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back