I can't work for free!

Status
Not open for further replies.

martinblakely

I recently had an incident with a motel franchise owned by foreigners. I was hired for minimum wage and then told that I would not receive a wage during training hours. Then I didn't even find out untill two days later. That third day was rough with hurricane weather and I sure wasn't going to risk anything by driving to work for free. I did call however and asked for more than minimum wage with not anymore unpaid hours. I was never called back like my higher than average buisiness/motel skills were worthless or like my education in Computers, Communication Skills, Human Relations, Keyboarding, and Office Procedures didn't increase my value Not to mention the year I spent working for a larger motel as night auditor who was able to able to operate their current system easily because of previous experience. I feel like I am over qualified, but in the Patel's eyes I was just a woman who didn't even deserve anything for my time but an oppurtunity to work for those who descriminate against the female population with there determination to dominate with no sense of understanding. So I wrote a nice letter to communicate with them my point of view and why I was worth $7 an hour.
I called and they refussed to admit that they received my letter and didn't have any reason to be talking to them. I tried to explain why, but when I mentioned that it was illegal to withhold wages they said, " We no hire you. You talk like that. I don't care. You tell. Its okay!"
After being treated like this I was upset because I worked so hard to get nothing but a crushed spirit from someone who should be humble and be more considerate of the real people born in the USA. He's too good to be an American who doesn't recieve special treatment from the government.

In this country of ours, the beautiful thing is that we have the choice to accept or deny offers (which in many other countries is even a felony!) If you don't like the work terms of your former employer, don't go back there or keep trying to justify why they should hire you for a certain rate and that is because they were clear from the beginning by saying that your training would be unpaid (which is perfectly legal); so, move on to bigger and better things because you don't have a case against them.

Last edited:
What do you mean. I was unfairly treated and unpaid for hours I spent giving to them. It may not be a case but its something to complain about. I can't believe you would advise me to do nothing were they can continue there slave labor.

Why do you dismiss me so easily. You must be one of them. A person who just don't care about the mistreatment of those that seem benief you. Well you are not.
I will do the paper work myself. My voice will be heard and don't tell me otherwise!

You didn't ask a question, or if you did it was hard to find in your overly extensive narrative. However, if you want to file a complaint, contact your state's department of labor, labor commission, or whatever.

Your characterization of foreign residents and citizens is EXTREMELY offensive. Why do you find it necessary to attribute one's bad acts to his ethnicity? As an American citizen, I am profoundly embarrassed by people like you, as well as the perception of Americans that people of other countries form because of people like you.

With your attitudes, I don't think you are a suitable candidate for the hotel/motel industry. Don't you know that many of your customers may be FOREIGNERS!

So, martinblakely, which is an odd name for a woman (per your other post), I suggest that you rethink your career goals. Not legal advice, but at least I'm not dismissing you.

Good Luck!:D

My response was not dissmissive. It just summarizes the legal options you have which are... no options! You have not been discriminated against; you have worked there for free at your own free will; accepted the terms of your training as they were presented, and to make matters even worse, you are the one who is doing the discriminating against the owners of the business who you want so desperately to be employed by just because they are not american enough to you. That being said, best of luck to you!

When you are mistreated by someone who benifits from being a minority, why shouldn't that upset me when my government issues grants to them so they are able to liives better than the average American. What makes the Patel's so special that they deserve better treatment than decent people who can atleast speak plain English. You think my experience with these people would leave me easily when they wouldn't even pay me for hours worked. They get all they can down to the very last penny and refuse to give back anthing they have received while living in my natural born country. I suppose you have sympathy for Asuma Ben Laden and all of his foriegn followers too right. There just poor souls that are lost. I shouldn't hold a grudge. They just killed tens of thousands of bystanders and treat their women like slaves. Be honest and admit that they brought the harsh judgement on them selves by being greedy with no regard to laws or morality. People of a feather flock together.

How can a honest person take the side of sleeze, so there for you must be of the same breed. I bet you get a kick out of giving half ass advice. You are so wrong about me and I am so wright about you. You don't care if someone is taken advatage of because they must have agreed to it. That's stupid and so are you. Kiss this goodbye that's the only play you can get. I can tell because you wouldn't spend all your time online chatting for free. I probaly makes you feel important. That's good for you but your attitude makes me sick just like those Indians. To hell with you haters. They made this unfortunate reality to me when they showed how they realy are. Cheap and Disgusting

You make me sick for tring to make me feel it was my fault. It's just like a man to be a pig about feelings that are too sensitve to be understand by a simple minded person. A nobody treated me like dirt when they are the ones that are lacking. Before that they tricked me into working for free. I don't care what you say I never agreed to that. What kind of dumbass are you for saying that? A big one. HA HA on you fatty!

Go to Hell Irish. You don't know a damn thing but how to be critical. Don't act like you know me because your nothing more than a hypocrite. Admit you would feel the same way about an imposter who misleads you then makes you feel like I'm not even worth minimum wage. I have a college education. I am profecient in Microsoft Word and the operating system used at the motel. I can prepare tax returns and take care of all business transactions in my own business who the government never gave me money to establish it. I worht ten of them Indians and they know it. I deserve the respect that they never gave me probally because they think women are inferior. You think that's okay. You are so delusional and confussed. I deserve an apology for your lack of good character. What's wrong with you people. What if it was you? I don't care what you think and this is a waste of my time.

I live in a small town where there are not many jobs. I'm not desperate to work for them. Are you crazy old man? I'm pissed because I gave them my best effort and they treated me like trash. Do you really think I would work for them know after I discovered contempt for people that place no value on my work or my potential. That shows that they think very little of the quality of business they do. They should have no value in my life anymore because I won't think the same way about them again.
They are so low and dirty that I hope I don't ever have to see another one to there brown flat faces. They need to go back to their own home and get the hell out of here. The less the better.

When people treat me poorly, I blame them, not their ethnicity.

You sir/madam/transgender/? must be either a troll or one of the most bigoted people I've ever run across.

And what a potty mouth!

I live in a small town where there are not many jobs. I'm not desperate to work for them. Are you crazy old man? I'm pissed because I gave them my best effort and they treated me like trash. Do you really think I would work for them know (edit: now) after I discovered contempt for people that (edit: who) place no value on my work or my potential. That shows that they think very little of the quality of business they do. They should have no value in my life anymore because I won't think the same way about them again.
They are so low and dirty that I hope I don't ever have to see another one to (edit: of) there (edit: their) brown flat faces. They need to go back to their own home(edit: homes) and get the hell out of here. The less (edit: fewer)the better.

Watch out for errors like this when you're writing your resume and cover letters.

Last edited:
Go to Hell Irish. You don't know a damn thing but how to be critical. Don't act like you know me because your (edit: you're) nothing more than a hypocrite. Admit you would feel the same way about an imposter who misleads you then makes you feel like I'm (edit: you're)not even worth minimum wage. I have a college education. I am profecient (edit: proficient) in Microsoft Word and the operating system used at the motel. I can prepare tax returns and take care of all business transactions in my own business who (edit: that) the government never gave me money to establish it (edit: delete 'it'). I (edit: I'm) worht (edit: worth) ten of them (edit: those) Indians and they know it. I deserve the respect that they never gave me probally (edit: probably) because they think women are inferior. You think that's okay. You are so delusional and confussed (edit: confused). I deserve an apology for your lack of good character. What's wrong with you people. What if it was you? I don't care what you think and this is a waste of my time.

Watch out for these too!

You make me sick for tring (edit: trying) to make me feel it was my fault. It's just like a man to be a pig about feelings that are too sensitve (edit: sensitive) to be understand (edit: understood) by a simple minded person. A nobody treated me like dirt when they are the ones that are lacking (edit: when he is the one who is lacking) . Before that they tricked me into working for free. I don't care what you say I never agreed to that. What kind of dumbass are you for saying that? A big one. HA HA on you fatty!

Be careful of these too.

Okay, I'm too tired to finish this for you tonight. Maybe I can do some more tomorrow. It brings back fond memories of when I taught 3rd grade.

I know you didn't ask for this help, but you do need it if you plan to conduct another job search.

I know I come across mad at the world, but really I never thought different about any other race untill I noticed similar negativity among different but like groups of people. You find the same tendencies with people who are more genetically matched. The point is I recognize conflict and know when I can only take so much before I lose it. I eventually get over it like I will with this incindent but not untill I stop them from being so high and mighty. I know they had to enjoy it when they stringed me along in order to humble me down. It really is sad to be in this unfortunate employment sitiation where there are hard feelings. I don't know what other way I could have taken it. They didn't even give me a chance to negotiate. That is unheard of in their culture where they barter and make purchases to make a deal with merchants. I just don't understand there mentality of living when they can't even apply the same standards to both of there cultures. Why is it wrong when an American tries to raise the stakes, but if your ethnically correct its okay to put value in your willingness to strive for the best.
After all of this I would never work for them. I have lost all respect for that particular family. However there are other families from the Middle East who own many stores in my town. They always called me there special customer because they liked me and my money. I don't feel the same way about them. They are my friends and merchants. We get along fine. Don't ever try to work for one that resents paying fair wages to those that aren't actually working hard physical labor. Every penny saved is a penny earned to them. Believe me they want all their pennies too. I got off the real subject along time ago when this website was taking for these people. I had to express my side to expose the ones that hurt me. To all you Patels that didn't let us be neutral. I'm gone with mistakes and all.

And Irish believe me when I say I don't care about your critics. I don't care if I make a mistake in a stupid forum. So what I type fast and have typos. I'm not a dictionary and I'm not going to go running to one just to impress you. Your not worth my time so get a life. I won't miss you.

You said the wrong thing when you went there. You have a dstorted reality that makes no real sense. Admit you are stupid and you just can't help it because your such a twit.

Okay, I think that will be enough of this. If you can't play nicely in the sandbox, we'll just close the sandbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back