I am the primary beneficiary

111thevoice

Jurisdiction
New York
I am the primary beneficiary but I do not know what benefits were left to me. I do not have access to paperwork because the family of the deceased does not know me. I was told that his adult children attempted to collect the benefits but were told only I can. I am lost, I do not know if I should just wait to be contacted by an executor or what.

I am the primary beneficiary but I do not know what benefits were left to me. I do not have access to paperwork because the family of the deceased does not know me. I was told that his adult children attempted to collect the benefits but were told only I can. I am lost, I do not know if I should just wait to be contacted by an executor or what.

It might be wise to speak with a probate attorney near you.

You can explain your dilemma and inquire what must be done to open probate to ensure you obtain your inheritance.

The attorney will determine what must be done, and how much it will cost to get what you believe is yours.

I was told that his adult children attempted to collect the benefits but were told only I can

Well, how do you know that? Who told you? Why didn't you ask what those "benefits" were? Why not go back to that person and make additional inquiry.

I do not know if I should just wait to be contacted by an executor or what.

I agree with Army Judge that you might end up needing a probate attorney.

But first I suggest you visit the local surrogate court where the guy died and see if a probate case file has been opened. If it has, buy a copy of the complete file so you know what's going on. If there is one, it will tell you the identity of the executor and his or her contact information. It will also have a copy of the will.

If you are potentially a beneficiary of a life insurance policy NAIC's policy locator service might help find it if the deceased's family won't cooperate:

Consumer Alert: Finding A Lost Insurance Policy

I am the primary beneficiary

Primary beneficiary of what?

I was told that his adult children attempted to collect the benefits but were told only I can.

What benefits? Told by whom?

I am lost, I do not know if I should just wait to be contacted by an executor or what.

If you answer my questions and those asked in the prior response and otherwise clarify the relevant facts, we might be able to point you in the right direction.

Back