I am holding onto my friend's money (minor)

johnderr

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
My friend has highly overbearing parents, and recently got into a fender bender. As a result of this, they are essentially grounding him for 7 or so months until they are 18, and are taking everything like his cell phone, the ability to drive their car, laptop, etc. They were planning on taking away $3000 cash he had made doing lawn work so they can spend it personally, but he told me to hold onto it for him, and I have it in my possession currently. He has not told them where it is, and the money was never deposited in his savings account. We are both minors (age 17). My question is: do the parents have any right to the money, and if so will I be in any legal trouble for holding it? Also, is there any way in which I could hold the money so that the parents have no legal claim to it? Thank you!

Last edited:
Sorry, but as a minor, everything he has belongs to his parents, even his money.

Basically, you are stealing from his parents and $3000 is felony level.

You are running a big risk.

Even without the criminal issue, you have no business getting into the middle of your friend's family business.

I suggest you give him back his money and let him deal with it and his parents.

He can get a safety deposit box at the bank if the bank will rent him one.

they are essentially grounding him for 7 or so months until they are 18

"They" (his parents) are grounding "him" (your friend) "until they are 18"? Huh? Your 17 year old friend's parents are obviously well over 18 years old, so what does "until they are 18" mean?

They were planning on taking away $3000 cash he had made doing lawn work so they can spend it personally

Meaning spend it to cover expenses resulting from the accident?

do the parents have any right to the money

Yes.

will I be in any legal trouble for holding it?

As you return it if you are requested to do so, you're not going to get in trouble simply for holding it.

is there any way in which I could hold the money so that the parents have no legal claim to it?

No.

"They" (his parents) are grounding "him" (your friend) "until they are 18"? Huh? Your 17 year old friend's parents are obviously well over 18 years old, so what does "until they are 18" mean?

Meaning spend it to cover expenses resulting from the accident?

Yes.

As you return it if you are requested to do so, you're not going to get in trouble simply for holding it.

No.
Yes, the parents are both over 18, and they intend to spend the money on a new car. Quite a shame considering the current one is an '07 Toyota Matrix and it only has a dent in the bumper. I have made arrangements to return the money and will be doing so in the next few days. Thank you all for your input!

Back