I am being criminal case against me for sending about 8 text messages

Brock

A family member was given an apt. for 500.00 because they had nowhere to go. They were also given a car. After 5 months of living there, they stole all the apt. furniture, appliances, etc.... I never heard from them, and they would not respond to my phone calls. Filed a police report, but it was dismissed. I guess it was pure frustration, as they never gave us a reason for the theft, or responded at all to my shock and dismay, but I sent a few messages, asking them how they could live with themselves, etc....
At one point I think I said that she would be judged when she meets her maker, or something to that effect. Evidently that was construed as a threat, rather than a "Karma" connection. When my claim was dismissed, I sent two messages telling her that I looked forward to having lunch with her, my way of letting her know that though everything was postponed, I was going to continue to file the charges somehow. In total for about two months, there were probably about 8 contacts. None any worse than the above.... I did call her a thief, and fat scum. And when it first happened, I inboxed all of our family (facebook) and told them what they did. (Stole everything from the apt.) She filed a criminal harrassment charge against me, and we have mediation this week through a municpal court. Can I lose my job over this?

A family member was given an apt. for 500.00 because they had nowhere to go. They were also given a car. After 5 months of living there, they stole all the apt. furniture, appliances, etc.... I never heard from them, and they would not respond to my phone calls. Filed a police report, but it was dismissed. I guess it was pure frustration, as they never gave us a reason for the theft, or responded at all to my shock and dismay, but I sent a few messages, asking them how they could live with themselves, etc....
At one point I think I said that she would be judged when she meets her maker, or something to that effect. Evidently that was construed as a threat, rather than a "Karma" connection. When my claim was dismissed, I sent two messages telling her that I looked forward to having lunch with her, my way of letting her know that though everything was postponed, I was going to continue to file the charges somehow. In total for about two months, there were probably about 8 contacts. None any worse than the above.... I did call her a thief, and fat scum. And when it first happened, I inboxed all of our family (facebook) and told them what they did. (Stole everything from the apt.) She filed a criminal harrassment charge against me, and we have mediation this week through a municpal court. Can I lose my job over this?

You are innocent UNTIL you are judged guilty by a jury of your peers, or UNLESS you plead GUILTY.
If I were you, I'd stop trying to explain what happened or try to justify what you allegedly did.
You are a criminal defendant, and you have certain rights, actually LOTS of rights.
You have the RIGHT to remain silent, to a fair and speedy trial, to face your accuser in open court, to be represented by an attorney, to place bail, and the most basic of them all; YOU ARE INNOCENT as a sweet, little lamb until the state PROVES you to be guilty.
That said, I suggest you only meet with the alleged victim if your attorney is present.
If you haven't yet HIRED a lawyer, or asked the court to appoint a public defender to represent you, then you should be seeking such representation.
Never ever discuss the facts of the case with anyone but your lawyer.

You could lose much more than a job, my friend, if convicted of some crimes you could lose your freedom.
Yes, people do lose their employment when they get convicted of certain crimes.
By trying to explain this series of incidents, you are helping the state make their case against you.
Yes, you don't fully understand how that can be, no worries, just take my word for it.
I do hope things work out well for all of you.

There is no way we can say if you will lose your job but, yes, it's possible. We don't know what your employer might do.

You are innocent UNTIL you are judged guilty by a jury of your peers, or UNLESS you plead GUILTY.
If I were you, I'd stop trying to explain what happened or try to justify what you allegedly did.
You are a criminal defendant, and you have certain rights, actually LOTS of rights.
You have the RIGHT to remain silent, to a fair and speedy trial, to face your accuser in open court, to be represented by an attorney, to place bail, and the most basic of them all; YOU ARE INNOCENT as a sweet, little lamb until the state PROVES you to be guilty.
That said, I suggest you only meet with the alleged victim if your attorney is present.
If you haven't yet HIRED a lawyer, or asked the court to appoint a public defender to represent you, then you should be seeking such representation.
Never ever discuss the facts of the case with anyone but your lawyer.

You could lose much more than a job, my friend, if convicted of some crimes you could lose your freedom.
Yes, people do lose their employment when they get convicted of certain crimes.
By trying to explain this series of incidents, you are helping the state make their case against you.
Yes, you don't fully understand how that can be, no worries, just take my word for it.
I do hope things work out well for all of you.

Hi Army Judge, and thank you for your response. If I am entitled to a fair and speedy trial, I don't understand how my original complaint of "Theft" was dismissed. All I was told was that it was a civil case. But, we were robbed completely.....everything! How can my case get dismissed when it involves complete theft, and her case go full criminal trial, for trying to contact her with regards to the theft? This completely boggles my mind. I am confused, and I am scared.

Also, I have been directed to go to mediation on Monday. I do not have an attorney. I did hire one, but he hasn't gotten back to me, so I need to get another.
Do I tell my story to the mediator, or do I take the "right to be silent...." Please respond before Monday!!
Brock

A speedy trial is a right of the accused. You were not the accused in your theft complaint. You were correctly informed that your complaint was civil in nature, not criminal. You can pursue damages in civil court if you choose.
If you are going to mediation then it seems there is no criminal case against you, just a civil harassment complaint.
If you agree to participate in the mediation then yes, explain to the mediator what your concerns are. The purpose of mediation is to resolve the dispute without having to actually go to court.

Back