I am a defendant in a civil lawsuit. I had 21 days of deadline. I send answer on 21 day and it will

thenpen3

Jurisdiction
California
Hi there,

I am defendant on civil lawsuit. I was given a deadline of 21 days. I have sent the letter for motion on 21 day. USPS says it will be delivered tomorrow which is 22nd day. What is going to happen next? Is there any exception that it will still be looked by judge. I was homeless and I have said that thing on my letter to court clerk. Are they going to consider it?

Call them and ask. Sometimes a postmark within the deadline is sufficient, sometimes not. If you sent it too late in the day you may not have gotten today's postmark.

I am defendant on civil lawsuit.

In state or federal court? What sort of lawsuit (i.e., what are you being sued for)?

I was given a deadline of 21 days.

Given a deadline of 21 days to do what? And who gave you this deadline?

I have sent the letter for motion on 21 day.

What does "letter for motion" mean, and to whom did you send this "letter"? Also, in the subject header of your post, you referred to an "answer." Are you talking about two different things?

What is going to happen next?

Without a more coherent explanation of what you're talking about, we have no conceivable way of knowing.

Are they going to consider it?

Courts generally don't consider letters, but I'll reserve judgment until you better explain what you're talking about.

Back