HVAC Unit no drip pan in residential home after newly installed

Evolutionx93

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
Hello all new here

I recently bought a house about 8 months ago. I had the home inspected and I live in a No Interest town in NJ. I recently had a smart thermostat installed and the HVAC tech expressed some concerns about how the unit was installed.

The unit sits in a craw space attic on a ranch style home. The unit was installed new before buying the house they were waiting for the permit to be passed.

- No drip pan under the unit, no emergency shut off.

- some of the piping is not insulated as long with some of the connectors

- the Furnace is installed on the wrong side

- the piping that comes out from the unit goes straight to 4in and not 3 to 4in

- all major parts of the unit are different makes

- No white inspection sticker on the unit

I'm curious if I can go after either the home inspector /township or both. For 1 the inspector not calling it out during his inspection and the town for passing the permit. Since I believe this is not up to code according to the HVAC tech.

From what I was reading not sure if this qualifies for NJ but according to IRV M1411.3.1 "A secondary drain or auxiliary drain pan shall be required for each cooling or evaporator coil where damage to any building components will occur as a result of overflow from the drain piping."

I would suggest that you get another inspection of the system from somebody who doesn't stand to benefit from selling you all that "missing" stuff.
If that second, unbiased inspection still shows similar problems, you can address them then.

As to who you will "go after", the contract with the inspector probably has so many disclaimers that you won't get anywhere, and the township can't be held responsible.

I would suggest that you get another inspection of the system from somebody who doesn't stand to benefit from selling you all that "missing" stuff.
If that second, unbiased inspection still shows similar problems, you can address them then.

As to who you will "go after", the contract with the inspector probably has so many disclaimers that you won't get anywhere, and the township can't be held responsible.

The inspector was a family friend and was just doing a side job for me. I don't believe he was trying to sell me anything as he did mention he would like to know the outcome when everything is done and over with and also provided me with a lawyer that handles these types of situations. He does more of commercial systems.

Would it even be worth my time reaching out to a lawyer to see if I have a case or would that be a waste of time and money?

The inspector was a family friend and was just doing a side job for me. I don't believe he was trying to sell me anything as he did mention he would like to know the outcome when everything is done and over with and also provided me with a lawyer that handles these types of situations. He does more of commercial systems.

Would it even be worth my time reaching out to a lawyer to see if I have a case or would that be a waste of time and money?
The lawyer shouldn't charge you anything to talk, but he will cost you money if you hire him to represent you.
I would, again, suggest a second opinion. Perhaps get a quote this time so you know how much money you're talking about.

Back