HVAC messed up install which flooded my house

David O.

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
So, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on how to get my situation resolved. About 4 months ago, our family went on vacation. When we came home, our house was flooded. We followed the water and it led us to a furnace we had installed a little over a year ago. I didn't call the HVAC company that installed the furnace. I called someone else to come out and tell me the real story of what went wrong. They listed quite a few mistakes the original install made. One, they installed a sensor for the main drain pan upside down. They installed the pipe that drains the aux drain pan where the pipe drained up hill. I paid for a cutoff switch in the aux drain pan, but it wasn't installed (which would've saved my house from flooding.) I've been back and forth with the HVAC company that made the mistakes. Originally they told me they reviewed their install notes. They will not come out to the house and all records show they installed it correctly and they are not responsible for water damage.

So, a few weeks ago, I wrote a Google view on their page showing all the damage they caused.

Google Maps

They replied to the the review stating for me to call. The first call with this response, they told me, if they caused the damage, they will fix it. But, they just called me again and reconfirmed, they installed it correctly and not helping in any repairs.

I guess the only retaliation I have right now is to dent their profits by spreading the word, with pictures and the other HVAC's notes and invoice showing all the damage they caused. Wondering if anyone has any good ideas for making this mistake of theirs the most visible on the Internet to cause the most damage to their business. I'm not lying or stretching the truth. I'm just presenting the facts given to me by the other HVAC company.

Or does anyone have any ideas how I can get help on the financial impact of these repairs? I've already called a lawyer and he said he would help me, but the cost to hire him will be significantly more expensive than just paying for the damage and repair myself. It's going to cost me over $10,000 for all the repairs.

So, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on how to get my situation resolved. About 4 months ago, our family went on vacation. When we came home, our house was flooded. We followed the water and it led us to a furnace we had installed a little over a year ago. I didn't call the HVAC company that installed the furnace. I called someone else to come out and tell me the real story of what went wrong. They listed quite a few mistakes the original install made. One, they installed a sensor for the main drain pan upside down. They installed the pipe that drains the aux drain pan where the pipe drained up hill. I paid for a cutoff switch in the aux drain pan, but it wasn't installed (which would've saved my house from flooding.) I've been back and forth with the HVAC company that made the mistakes. Originally they told me they reviewed their install notes. They will not come out to the house and all records show they installed it correctly and they are not responsible for water damage.

So, a few weeks ago, I wrote a Google view on their page showing all the damage they caused.

Google Maps

They replied to the the review stating for me to call. The first call with this response, they told me, if they caused the damage, they will fix it. But, they just called me again and reconfirmed, they installed it correctly and not helping in any repairs.

I guess the only retaliation I have right now is to dent their profits by spreading the word, with pictures and the other HVAC's notes and invoice showing all the damage they caused. Wondering if anyone has any good ideas for making this mistake of theirs the most visible on the Internet to cause the most damage to their business. I'm not lying or stretching the truth. I'm just presenting the facts given to me by the other HVAC company.

Or does anyone have any ideas how I can get help on the financial impact of these repairs? I've already called a lawyer and he said he would help me, but the cost to hire him will be significantly more expensive than just paying for the damage and repair myself. It's going to cost me over $10,000 for all the repairs.
Did you report this to your insurance company?

I guess the only retaliation I have right now is to dent their profits by spreading the word, with pictures and the other HVAC's notes and invoice showing all the damage they caused.

That isn't a game that I'd play.
Why?
It does NOTHING to assist me in repairing my home, or recover the damages I've suffered.

does anyone have any ideas how I can get help on the financial impact of these repairs?

Do you have home owner's insurance?
If you do, speak to your insurer to determine if your insurance will be of any financial assistance to you.

If you don't have home owner insurance, (even if you do have such insurance) you might try contacting the state agency that regulates HVAC installers and repairs.

A Tennessee contractor's license is required BEFORE bidding or offering a price, for projects $25,000 and up (includes materials and labor), as a prime (general) contractor; and also subcontractors performing electrical, mechanical, plumbing, HVAC, roofing and masonry are also required to be licensed as a contractor, when the total portion on the project is $25,000 or more; masonry, when $100,000 or more.

Cont - Contractors

Plumbing Licensing
This section primarily covers the Limited Licensed Plumber (LLP) license requirements which is required in many counties to perform work on a project where the cost is less than $25,000. The LLP license is issued to the individual passing the LLP trade exam. Before applying for an LLP license, check with the local code enforcement to make sure this license is accepted for obtaining permits for inspections. An LLP cannot advertise as a "contractor" without having a contractor's license.

Plumbing is regulated at various levels in Tennessee (state and local government). The need for a state LLP license is based upon the following:

The total cost is less than $25,000; (amount includes materials and labor, unless supplied by the owner (cannot be supplied by the prime/general contractor). [See Rule 0680-1-.13]

Cont - LLP

I've already called a lawyer and he said he would help me, but the cost to hire him will be significantly more expensive than just paying for the damage and repair myself. It's going to cost me over $10,000 for all the repairs.

If you do end up paying all (or a portion) of the costs to repair the flooding, you MIGHT be able to recoup "some" of those losses on your 2020 Federal tax filing....

I have made a claim to my home owners... but I can't afford the $2500 deductible.... so I haven't moved forward with the repairs yet.

On top of that, the furnace needs to be fixed. If it backs up into the auto drain pan again, the same thing is going to happen.

I have made a claim to my home owners... but I can't afford the $2500 deductible.... so I haven't moved forward with the repairs yet.

Why do you have a $2500 deductible? Seriously. What was your thinking when you took a $2500 deductible when that amount is obviously painful to you?

I just don't think it's right that I or my insurance has to pay for this. Why should I have to pay for the mistakes of a company I hired?

Back