Purchase & Sale HVAC manufacturer dubious warranty practice

Lawtroof

Jurisdiction
Florida
I am a Florida HVAC contractor. Two of our major manufacturers have instituted warranty policies that require the contractor to buy warranty parts up front and possibly get their money back after the paperwork is processed.

I have told them I refuse to pay for parts and they have refused to give me warranty parts.

How can they legally do this? I don't think the policy has ever been challenged, it seems shaky, since the written warranty is clear. They do not provide parts to homeowners. I am attaching the warranty paperwork.

Attachments

• Bryant warranty.pdf
    145.5 KB · Views: 7
I have told them I refuse to pay for parts and they have refused to give me warranty parts.

I don't understand.

Are you looking to stock parts in case you find a defective part on a service call?

Or did you find a defective part on a service call and want to be sent a replacement under the warranty?

I am a Florida HVAC contractor. Two of our major manufacturers have instituted warranty policies that require the contractor to buy warranty parts up front and possibly get their money back after the paperwork is processed.

How can they legally do this? I don't think the policy has ever been challenged, it seems shaky, since the written warranty is clear. They do not provide parts to homeowners. I am attaching the warranty paperwork.
The warranty with the customer is irrelevant. What is your agreement with the manufacturer(s)?

How can they legally do this?

I'm not sure I understand the question.

The system of law in the United States is such that, unless there is a law that prohibits something, the thing is legal. Also keep in mind that, with a couple of exceptions not relevant here, no seller of goods is obligated to offer a warranty. If a seller chooses to offer a warranty, it can set virtually any condition on the warranty, and that's especially true for non-consumer transactions. Your recourse is to take your business elsewhere.

I don't think the policy has ever been challenged, it seems shaky, since the written warranty is clear. They do not provide parts to homeowners. I am attaching the warranty paperwork.

If you're saying that you believe the seller is requiring things not required under the warranty, then the seller may be liable for breach of the warranty.

Back