Roomate husband won't take name off lease and leave

zoms

Jurisdiction
Arizona
He knows I don't want to be with him any longer. Says he will leave at the beginning of the month, this has been going on for 2 months now, keeps stalling. What are my options if any? Maricopa county, AZ

Get a lawyer, file for divorce, seek exclusive possession of the dwelling. If the court grants exclusive possession and he doesn't leave, the court will have a sheriff put him out.

As for him getting off the lease, that's up to the landlord and, frankly, any landlord with half a brain would keep you both on the hook for as long as the place was occupied by either of you.

What are my options if any?

Options for what?

He knows I don't want to be with him any longer.

So...file for divorce.

Says he will leave at the beginning of the month, this has been going on for 2 months now, keeps stalling.

Since you're the one who wants the divorce, why should he leave? You're free to leave at any time.

I'm not really sure what the comment in the subject header of your post means, but your husband likely has no ability to take either your or his name off the lease for the place where you live. That would require your landlord's agreement.

As long as both names are on the lease, both of you are entitled to live there, until you have a court order stating otherwise. You are welcome to move or you can negotiate a new lease with just your name, but your landlord isn't obligated to terminate the existing lease early in order for you to do that.

Back