Husband prohibiting visit

D

Después

Jurisdiction
New York
I am married living with husband. He is forbidding I visit my mothers house with our newborn daughter because he had a fight with my sister who lives there. Legally speaking does he have the right?

I am married living with husband. He is forbidding I visit my mothers house with our newborn daughter because he had a fight with my sister who lives there. Legally speaking does he have the right?

Any wife and any husband have EQUAL rights in every state across the USA.

You don't need HIS permission to take a child you and he created to visit anyone, anywhere, anytime all across this great nation.

That said, if you are married to anyone who orders you to do anything, prohibits you from doing somethings, its time to divorce that person.

There are some places on this planet where husbands are allowed to abuse their wives.

That isn't allowed in this country, and ended LEGALLY in the last century of the previous millennium.

I can't tell you what to do, as all of us are free to make his or her own choices.

If my wife ever told me what to do, I would file for divorce within minutes of that event.

Every married couple sets their own rules, and some married couples one person bullies the other and makes all the rules.

Slavery was abolished in the middle of the 19th century in this country.

I suggest you reflect over all of this, and proceed accordingly.

Your question is very important, but it isn't limited just to whom you can visit with your child!!!

Legally speaking no he can't forbid you anything. Now you have to live with the man so it's really up to you to decide how you want to handle the situation. If the fight with the sister is recent, he may just need some time to calm down. In the meantime perhaps you can compromise and only go to Mom's house when sister is not there.

fight happened in June. He threatened her kid and she put her hands on him. He's saying he can get a restraining order for him and his child against sister. I'm at a loss.

The legal answer is simple. No he cannot forbid you anything. IF he does get a retraining order then you will have to deal with the order. IF.
The relationship answer is not so simple. Defying him could have consequences for you.

The legal answer is simple. No he cannot forbid you anything. IF he does get a retraining order then you will have to deal with the order. IF.
The relationship answer is not so simple. Defying him could have consequences for you.
Thank you. This is out of control. He gets upset when I bring it up. He is even prohibiting me from taking her to church without him.

Thank you. This is out of control. He gets upset when I bring it up. He is even prohibiting me from taking her to church without him.

You're an adult.
This is the 21st century, why on earth would you allow another person to "forbid" you to do something you wish to do?

No need to answer my question.

You need to wrestle with the answer for yourself.

If you're happy being treated as if you are his child, and NOT his wife (who is his equal), you'll enjoy the next 40, 50, or 60 years being his slave.

I bet he treats his dog (assuming he has a dog) with more dignity and kindness than he shows you.

As my dad once told me, "Son, don't worry about anyone's marriage. They'll stay hitched as long as one keeps dishing out the slop for the other one to eat."

fight happened in June. He threatened her kid and she put her hands on him. He's saying he can get a restraining order for him and his child against sister. I'm at a loss.
He can not get a restraining order for a child who was not even born at the time the incident necessitating the order happened. At best, even if there was an order, that would just mean the sister would have to abide by the terms of said order. You can still go where ever you like and take your child where ever you like.

It is extremely unlikely any restraining order or peace order could be obtained at this point. The purpose is to protect those in imminent danger. If there has been no contact since June, there is no imminent danger. If he was the aggressor (and why was this dude threatening any child, let alone one who was not his???) he isn't going to get squat.

He can not get a restraining order for a child who was not even born at the time the incident necessitating the order happened. At best, even if there was an order, that would just mean the sister would have to abide by the terms of said order. You can still go where ever you like and take your child where ever you like.

It is extremely unlikely any restraining order or peace order could be obtained at this point. The purpose is to protect those in imminent danger. If there has been no contact since June, there is no imminent danger. If he was the aggressor (and why was this dude threatening any child, let alone one who was not his???) he isn't going to get squat.
Thank you. Im contemplating divorce. Gonna present him with facts. See if he can let it go.

Husbands and wives don't own each other in America. So no he has no legal right to keep you from seeing ANYONE. If he has an issue with you seeing your family tell him to shove it up his a$$.

If there is any abuse in your marriage (which this sounds like emotional and mental abuse that can turn into physical) I suggest you go to counseling -either together or you go separately. No one should have to put up with any type of abuse. That's on you though. Sit down and talk to him and if he becomes unreasonable then you have your answer.

Back