Husband HIDING money and other things - WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT IT ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmyygl

Married for over 20 years. Husband won't allow my name on Bank account or give me any money for household items for family use, gas money to take our child to school, etc. Locks his vehicle at night so I can't get in it, etc., etc. I guess my main question is: Can't I LEGALLY sell any of our Marrital Assets/Possesions if I need money since they are half mine anyway? How do I find out if he is hiding money in other bank accounts or savings, etc.? What can I do to find out what all he is hiding? Is there any way to check this information online for free? I can't afford a Private Investigator. Also, he has acquired a daily whiskey drinking problem the last few years and gets verbally abusive frequently but I don't suspect cheating. We may very well end up in divorce court so I need to know what I should be doing NOW to prepare myself just in case. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Talk to a GOOD divorce attorney.
You don't need money.
Half of what he has is yours in Texas.
An attorney will get it for you.
The attorney will get the court to order him to pay for your expenses and attorney's fees.

See an attorney ASAP.

Start the ball rolling for your sake and your child's!!!

THANKS very much for your reply, Army Judge. I will definitely consider your advice & you have been a great help !!

Yes, you can easily sell any of the property that is not registered/titled to him that would require authorization. Keep the money and do what you want with it.

OP, please speak with a LOCAL attorney immediately. You cannot just go ahead and sell what might be considered "community property", even if you alone hold the title.

Nor can you disperse the funds willy-nilly.

maybe you should do the same thing. When you get money start putting it away if you can to prepare for a divorce if it comes down to it. But remember that in a divorce that saved money will be considered both of yours. Do as the others have said and contact a attorney if you think that a divorce is in your future. Maybe see if he will get help for his drinking problem. Good luck.

Of course she can sell property.
There is nothing that prohibits her from selling anything.
Have a garage/yard sale- do with your property as you please.

Thanks to everyone that replied !

Sincerely Appreciate all of your replies!! The vehicle my Husband drives (marrital property) is titled ONLY in his name (not my idea) & vehicle I drive (purchased with my Inheritance money) is titled in my name. I was under the impression that ANY items, vehicles or otherwise, purchased by either of us during the marriage is considered "marrital property" & can be sold without the other's permission. Perhaps I am wrong about that? I was also under the impression that Inheritance, Gifts, and lastly (not 100% sure about this one) Funds from any Personal Injury Claims are considered Separate property?
**Also, I am still wondering if there is any way to check on his Bank Account(s) online or is that something not available? I guess I could put a GPS tracker device on his vehicle during the day to see exactly where he goes but I have never used anything like that before. I definitely cannot afford to hire a Private Investigator. Anyone have any ideas on how I can get this information or anything else that might be helpful...legally of course :confused:

There is no way to check to see how much money he has in his bank account if it is in his name alone......leagally anyways. Be careful about going into his personal emails and accounts online that require you to have his password as you could be charged with a crime if he does not give you permission. You could always put a cell phone with gps on it in his truck to track his moves but again be careful. Contact a local attorney to see what you can and cant do. Again good luck to you and hope all works out for oyu and your family.

Also You can sell anything that is in your name that does not have his name on it and as mighty said a garage sell sounds great on other things. Be careful and ask a local attorney who knows the laws of your state so you do not take any chances of gettn into any kind of trouble. Again good luck.

maybe you should do the same thing. When you get money start putting it away if you can to prepare for a divorce if it comes down to it. But remember that in a divorce that saved money will be considered both of yours. Do as the others have said and contact a attorney if you think that a divorce is in your future. Maybe see if he will get help for his drinking problem. Good luck.

My Husband won't get help for his drinking because he doesn't think he has a problem...oh, and he tells me it's "my fault" he drinks. :angryfire I'm pretty sure most people would agree that drinking 1/4-1/3 of a LARGE bottle of whiskey every single night IS a problem. These are 1.7 liter bottles I believe...they look like gallon sizes to me but idk for sure...I'm not a drinker myself. Thanks again for your help!

well you know its not your fault and if he wont get help then you have to look after yourslef.

Up until a divorce action is filed, and a court order is issued protecting the marital assets; either spouse can do what they desire with the marital assets in The Republic of Texas.

In Texas, most divorce litigants, make their moves BEFORE the divorce action is filed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back