husband does not want to sell house

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoldMeClose

My husband and I co-own our house with our adult daughter. All 3 of our names are on the deed. We are getting a divorce. I know that the judge will order the house to be sold. My husband does not want to sell. He also does not want to buy me and my daughter out.
I had two real estate agents come in and appraise the house. My husband said he would not sign any papers to allow them to sell. Recently he had a real estate agent that he chose come in and look at the house. My husband pointed out all the things that was wrong with the house to the agent. The agent quoted a very, very low price to list the house at and she was adament about having exclusive rights to sell. My two agents offered multiple listings. I know my husband will try to discourage potential buyers by telling them all the problems we have or have ever had with the house.
I told him I would not sign with his real estate agent and he retorted that he would not sign with anyone I chose either.
I want to sell. I want out of here.
Do I have any legal rights if he refuses to sign with an agent we can agree on? And do I have any legal rights if he tried to discourage potential buyers?

My husband and I co-own our house with our adult daughter. All 3 of our names are on the deed. We are getting a divorce. I know that the judge will order the house to be sold. My husband does not want to sell. He also does not want to buy me and my daughter out.
I had two real estate agents come in and appraise the house. My husband said he would not sign any papers to allow them to sell. Recently he had a real estate agent that he chose come in and look at the house. My husband pointed out all the things that was wrong with the house to the agent. The agent quoted a very, very low price to list the house at and she was adament about having exclusive rights to sell. My two agents offered multiple listings. I know my husband will try to discourage potential buyers by telling them all the problems we have or have ever had with the house.
I told him I would not sign with his real estate agent and he retorted that he would not sign with anyone I chose either.
I want to sell. I want out of here.
Do I have any legal rights if he refuses to sign with an agent we can agree on? And do I have any legal rights if he tried to discourage potential buyers?

Maybe the judge will choose the realtor at your next hearing. Get a few more appraisals, and offer to list at the average of all the appraisals, and with the realtor whose appraisal is closest to average. That will show your willingness to compromise.

I don't know if you can do anything about it if he tries to discourage buyers. Ask your lawyer if you can bring it up at the hearing, and possibly get an order that your husband must leave the house when it's shown.

Your husband cannot have his cake and eat it too. The house will either have to be sold OR he will have to buy you and your daughter out. do you have an attorney? the agent does not determine the selling price anyways the appraiser does that. You might want to have an appraiser come over to appraise the house when your husband is not there. seems also asking him to leave the house when it is shown is appropriate.

Yes, we did have an independent appraiser come to the house. The appraiser was court issued. He appraised the house at $385,000 and the realtor my husband retained appraised it at and wanted to list it at $175,000. The two realtors I hired also wanted to list it at $385,00- 395,000 and we could expect it to sell for $360,000. I'll be happy with $360k.

I hope we can get an order that he must leave when the house is shown. I'll talk to my lawyer about that.

Thank you so much for your advice! Love ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back