Husband Died-left Wife Swimming In Debt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

queencat29

My friend's husband died recently and she found out she is swimming in debt. Apparently he "handled" the finances and was very secretive. There are $20,000.00 in credit card debt, and a vehicle that he still owed on ( I am not sure if her name is on the title, and if not, what recourse does she have to sell). There is no will. The only asset is the house, which has a $43,000.00 equity loan on it (in both names), which was JTWROS, and her paid off car. She has been trying to figure out if the credit cards were opened jointly, or if he just put her on as a authorized signer. She can no way pay all these debts on what she gets in Social Security. She must pay the Equity loan or she'll lose her home. As far as the credit card debt goes, if she was only a authorized user on the accounts, to my way of thinking, she is not liable for the payments. I told her, if it was me, to get the house put her her name only through the Register of Deeds in Mi. A.S.A.P. and after that is done, to contact the credit card companies, notify them of his death, send them a death certificate, tell them there are no assets or probate and see what happens. I told her I would not use any of the credit cards at all anymore. Does anyone know the law regarding these issues? Also, if her name is not on the title of the one vehicle which money is owed on what does she do?????????:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back