Husb. gave me nice watch 4 wks ago; presently going thru a legal sep. Is the watch comm. property?

angfisher25

Jurisdiction
California
My husband gave me a very nice watch (it was given to him by his mother yrs. ago and is very sentimental). We're in middle of a legal separation. He definitely gave the watch to me, it was not a "loan" like his mother says -- she wasn't even there! My huz and I were discussing working on the marriage, putting the separation filings "on hold." Things got nasty again and he wanted the watch back, but his mother wanted it back 100 times more than he did. Is the watch considered "mine" or is it community property?? At the time I gave it back (sold it to his mom, really) I did a little research on the worth of the watch but not a ton of research, but now I know it's worth a lot more than she gave me for it. She (and my husband) totally "rushed" through the watch/money swap -- I believe they wanted to get the deal done before I found out how much the watch was really worth.

I sold the watch back to her today. It was such a yucky situation, I just wanted to be done with it. Now I am so hurt and feel totally taken advantage of. Is there ANYTHING legally I can do to get it back, or get more $$ from the mother for it, OR IS IT JUST TOO LATE AND TOO BAD FOR ME??

THANK YOU.

ME

Too late, you sold it.
It wasn't community property.
It might have been a gift.
In order for it to be a proper gift, sonny had to have been given the gift by mommy.
Apparently mommy wasn't cool with that, as she appeared and bought it back.

Let it go.

Life's too short to waste it arguing over stuff.

Too late, you sold it.
It wasn't community property.
It might have been a gift.
In order for it to be a proper gift, sonny had to have been given the gift by mommy.
Apparently mommy wasn't cool with that, as she appeared and bought it back.

Let it go.

Life's too short to waste it arguing over stuff.

Thanks! Yes, I agree, I am not sorry I "sold" it back for hardly anything, I know it was the right thing to do. My brother texted me this morning and freaked me out saying "Do not sell the watch back to them!! I found out it's comm. property, you could get $4,000 for it!" Was actually afraid of my brother and his insults and judgements than the $$. However, My husband has walked out and left me in a scary financial position (but I got a job yesterday - good news), so fearfully I find myself "grasping" any ideas to get money!
My husband's mother did give it to my husband as a gift. It was his to give away. His mother did not like that, you are correct. She cared way more than he did... but done deal and glad it's over. That watch is out of my hands.
THANK YOU, ARMY. YOU ARE ALWAYS HELPFUL AND YOU ARE VERY CLEAR AND FRIENDLY IN YOUR ANSWERS AND DELIVERY. APPRECIATED.

Back