Roomate Hurricane Damage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcarmona

I live in Pasadena and was hit by hurricane Ike. My apt has roof damage which caused a crack in the ceiling. Its about 3 feet long and a good 2 inches wide. It is starting to mold and make my roomate sick. We also had prior problems with the apartment which were never fixed after being turned in numerous times! I turned in the new damage along with a reminder of the prior damage a week ago today and they have yet to contact us about fixing anything. We are already unhappy with the community is there any way we can break our lease ( 5 months left) without all the fees?

Until you put all these demands in writing to notify your Landlord, you cannot get out of the lease. Leases cannot be broken because you are unhappy, because they are not calling you back, or because the repairs are not happening quick enough. Landlords have protection under landlord/tenant laws to remedy such a situation. If the landlord does not take action, see what the law in your state says regarding how you can proceed regarding actions not taken by the landlord. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Lots of people have had hurricane damage from Ike. If you live in a large complex, it is likely the management is dealing with many complaints of damage. One week not to respond to your requests is not unusual in that situation.

As an aside, it is highly unlikely any mold is making your roommate "sick". There are many, many different strains of mold; only 2 to 3 are considered dangerous to ones health.

Gail

I live outside Houston TX myself and suffered Ike damage at my apartment. Lost all the shingles, which turned into a steady stream in my living room. Soaked the carpet, which has now turned into mold growing over about 30% of my walls. All the way up and through the ceiling in some places. I've called 3 times and left a letter, and have yet to hear anything from the management. Its been what 3, 4 weeks? I don't expect it to be fixed immediately considering most the complex received damage, but I'd at least like to know what's going on.

But from what I understand hurricane damage falls into the "Acts of God" clause, which limits legal liabilities. Unless its mold from say, a leaky pipe that was never fixed, there's not a whole lot you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back