huge hospital bill in collections

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrinaosso

My dad had multiple strokes back in 1999. He was in 1 hospital for 17 days and 21 days in another. The hospital told my mother that he is definitely covered by his union. It turns out he had a cap of only about $65,000 ( coverable medical expenses ) and he is not covered by the rest of the amount. The outstanding bill of $160,000.00 is now in collections. We tried speaking to attorneys. They said too much time has passed. We tried applying for charity care. We were denied. My parents' house is now in my mother's name. The collections agency keeps calling my mother. Finally, we decided to pay $100 a month to get the collection agency off of our backs and buy some time to see if we should declare backruptcy or get the house in my brother, sister and my name because I'm afraid they can put a lien on the house. I asked for an itemized bill from the collection agency and they sent an uncompleted report of it. They said $100 is not enough, can you take a second mortgage on the house, the $100.00 is not acceptable ---- even though, they agreed to that amount and it says on their monthly invoice that no further legal action is necessary. Please- please help. Should we declare bankruptcy - can you please recommend attorneys who do collection work in NJ or NY? I live in NJ. I don't know what else to do. Can they put a lien on the house??

Any advice would be much appreciated..
Thanks,
-S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back