Other Immigration Law How would I go about locating the immigrant that fathered my child?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicakelley

For the 2 years we were together he gave me a false last name. I only found this out because of his friends and coworkers. He used a false name to work, gave me a false name, fathered my child and then just stopped coming around. My son has only seen him 3 times in his entire life, none of which he will ever remember because he was only days old. I know he is here illegally because he told me so himself. I am trying to locate him now because our son's asthma medicines and treatments are becoming a little too expensive for me to handle on my own and I would like my son to at least know who his father is. When I got pregnant, I was 17 and he was 20. I'm asking for help because I am getting desperate. Is there anyone who could possibly offer advice on what I should do?

Short of taking an ad out on Tele Mundo, I have no suggestions about how to track an illegal that may be in jail, in the US or in Mexico.

For the 2 years we were together he gave me a false last name. I only found this out because of his friends and coworkers. He used a false name to work, gave me a false name, fathered my child and then just stopped coming around. My son has only seen him 3 times in his entire life, none of which he will ever remember because he was only days old. I know he is here illegally because he told me so himself. I am trying to locate him now because our son's asthma medicines and treatments are becoming a little too expensive for me to
handle on my own and I would like my son to at least know who his father is. When I got pregnant, I was 17 and he was 20. I'm asking for help because I am getting desperate. Is there anyone who could possibly offer advice on what I should do?

WOW, sometimes you should just say, no.

Have you applied for public assistance?

When you apply for public assistance for you and your child, the state will assist you in locating the man that impregnated you.

Don't get your hopes up, you'll probably never see the dude, again.

Unless, he's been arrested.

If he's been arrested, his DNA is probably in a state(Texas) or federal database.

Your child's DNA could then be used to determine if some arrested thug is her daddy.

Ain't that precious?

At any rate, you'll get some assistance provided through by the taxpayers.

Well, unless, you're an illegal, too.

If you are, I suggest you hot foot back to your homeland.

There's not much left here in these here United States anymore!

Jessica, if I may ask a question?

You mention on this thread that you're struggling financially without child support.

How do you expect to support another child? The niece of yours? From your other thread?

The only reason I struggle financially is because I do not like to allow my husband to pay for things my child with another man needs. I pay for those myself. Together, he and I can support all three children. And, if I were to allow it, he could easily cover my son's medical costs. However, I feel he has no obligation to pay these bills. I don't think it's fair for my husband to pay for EVERYTHING for a child that's not his. You'll be happy to know, though, that he still pays my son's bills without asking for my OK. And all of the children have everything they ask for.

To Army Judge: No, I am not illegal. I was born right here in the states and I have the documentation to prove it. I don't know if he has any criminal record. The only thing he might have is: in 2008, he hit another car with his, the other driver was badly injured. Our mutual friend told me that he fled the scene though before authorities arrived.

Just one thing.

The State won't help you track him down. They may help you with a cursory "first look", but child support enforcement will not pull out the stops to find the guy no matter how much state aid you might get (which is an incentive on their part - but it seems you won't qualify anyway, correct? Given your family income?).

BUT. File for child support anyway! IF he's here, who knows? He might turn up.

Or, another option for you. You're married, yes? Has your husband considered a stepparent adoption?

He wants to adopt my son VERY badly. Because he wants all the children to have the same last name. He gets a little angry when people at my son's school ask where his father is because he sees himself as our children's only father. My husband has been there since the very day that my son's biological father left and said he wasn't coming back.

I don't know if I would qualify or not. I didn't realize there were financial requirements. Hmm. I suppose I will take your advice and file just to see if they can use his friends to find him. If nothing, well, I suppose I just might have to hire a PI. Thanks everyone for all the great advice!

If this is TRULY what you and your husband desire - a stepparent adoption - then that's probably the best long-term option for you.

Ask yourselves the following questions:

Mom, if you and your husband divorce, are you going to be okay with your husband having custody and you paying him child support?

Stepdad (soon to be legal Dad) - same question. If you and Mom divorce, will you be okay with her having custody and you paying child support for a child not biologically yours?

If you can both honestly answer "yes' to those questions? Get yourselves to an experienced adoption attorney and go from there. With Dad being missing, you might need to serve him via publication and - if you want to make sure nothing can be overturned in the future - that's not a do-it-yourself thing.

It will be well-worth the money!

Good luck!

I'll do that. Good thing today is Monday. It's like a whole new fresh start on my life. I get to get started on all of this 'fun' stuff at 9am. I had better go get my niece and bring her over here and then get some sleep. I've got a busy day today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back