How to terminate Parental rights ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turningleaf

My son in law was arrested and in jail awaiting scentencing and his girfriend at the time came & saw him & told his she had been sleeping with his best friend and was pregnant and he may or maynot be the father. He had been in jail for 2 weeks at this point. He went to prison did his time & has never seen her again or the child. She married they guy several years ago. They were not married when the child was born so there was no name on the birth certificate. Then after they got married they went to court & had her husband named as the father.(on the birth certificate )
Five years later...they are both on Welfare & my son in law works. Fresno County has hit him up for child support in the tune o $600.00 per month for the 1 child. He also currently pays child support from his first 2 daughter from his first marriage and always has !
They went to court today for a child support hearing & the mother did not show up ( since it was welfare trying to get their $ maybe she didn't have to ?) Anyways they said his wages would be attached $450. Per month & he told the judge...I have never seen the child, He doesn't know me, and her current husband is named as the father on the birth certificate, he is not my son? The judge said well now he is!
How can this happen shouldn't their be proof of paternity prior to hitting someone with child support? He was told he could terminate his perental right but the mother has to file papers with the court asking for full custody from him? His stance on this is the little boy doesn't even know him at this point, he only knows his current father as his father and has since birth and he is now 5 years old. How fair is it to turn this little guys world upside down when in reality he may not be the father! He is thinking perminating parental rights at this point might be the best for everyone ! How can he go about doing that? Does paternity have to be established prior to termination? Does the mother have to first file ppwr. with the courts asking for full custody? How can he get out of this mess ? If he has to pay 450 a month he will see his son ! What kind of havac will that cause him ? Who knows I think she is just trying to get welfare off their backs because they don't work and there is no reason they can't ! Thank you for your advise !

He cant terminate rights he never had allegedly. Something is not right as since he was never named Father nor took any paternity test I don't see how a Judge can make this ruling. There is something you haven't been told or your not telling us

Advise Sonny that he needs to hire an attorney. He should never have attended that hearing without an attorney representing him. His money is better spent in a lawyer than on ne'er do wells and some child he doesn't know. He should also discuss with SOMEONE how to seek court ordered paternity testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back