How to hold ex-spouse mutually-accountable for mutually-owed back taxe

Status
Not open for further replies.

CuriosinCA

Hello,
My ex-spouse and I owe back taxes to 2007 and 2008. We legally divorced in 2010 (separated in 2009), all in CA.
I have been paying off the back taxes (including from earlier years) while he has paid very little (he worked "under the table" or claimed to be making no money for a number of years).
We still owe about $19,000.
Now that he's earning a decent living and the IRS is coming after him too, he wants to do an "offer in compromise" with the IRS. I'm pretty sure that I'm no longer eligible for this as I recently got a bonus at work that could just about pay off the tax debt (and I can finally pay all of my bills no problem).

My question: How do I hold my ex-spouse accountable for his share of the tax debt-
A. The $15,000+ that I've already paid off
B. The approximately $19,000 that I believe I'm going to get stuck with because he will claim that he's not making enough money and I recently got a bonus at work?

C. He also owes me about $24,000 +/- in back child support which he hasn't paid towards in about 2 years (he finally started paying some child support starting 2 years ago)- how do I hold him accountable for this?

Thank you for your help!

Hello,
My ex-spouse and I owe back taxes to 2007 and 2008. We legally divorced in 2010 (separated in 2009), all in CA.
I have been paying off the back taxes (including from earlier years) while he has paid very little (he worked "under the table" or claimed to be making no money for a number of years).
We still owe about $19,000.
Now that he's earning a decent living and the IRS is coming after him too, he wants to do an "offer in compromise" with the IRS. I'm pretty sure that I'm no longer eligible for this as I recently got a bonus at work that could just about pay off the tax debt (and I can finally pay all of my bills no problem).

My question: How do I hold my ex-spouse accountable for his share of the tax debt-
A. The $15,000+ that I've already paid off
B. The approximately $19,000 that I believe I'm going to get stuck with because he will claim that he's not making enough money and I recently got a bonus at work?

C. He also owes me about $24,000 +/- in back child support which he hasn't paid towards in about 2 years (he finally started paying some child support starting 2 years ago)- how do I hold him accountable for this?

Thank you for your help!

You do what others are required to do, sue him.

Talk to a lawyer (several lawyers is better), engage one if he or she agrees, and see if a judge and jury agree.

There are no magic words to be spoken, no spells to be cast, just spend more money to pursue about a 1% chance of success.

I don't think your case is strong, but you asked HOW, not if it is going to be successful.
But, hey, what do I know? Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back