How to Garnish wages for a bail bonds company

Jurisdiction
California
I currently work for a bail bonds company in which we are trying to inquire in hiring a "small court claims person", but would like to know more about their role.
What is the correct job title for a person in this position?
What are their job responsibilities or duties?
What are their detailed job requirements?
What is their hourly pay?
How much experience is needed to work in this occupation?
Your knowledge would be very helpful to hire a great candidate.

I currently work for a bail bonds company in which we are trying to inquire in hiring a "small court claims person", but would like to know more about their role.
What are their job responsibilities or duties?
What are their detailed job requirements?
Your knowledge would be very helpful to hire a great candidate.

Does your firm want this person to primarily want this person to represent its interests in collecting debts?

The State of California has a pamphlet where small claims is discussed.

No person can file more than two small claims cases in a calendar year in California.

I think that may impact what your firm is thinking about doing.

Read about it below.
========
-------------
The Small Claims Court, A Guide to Its Practical Use - California Department of Consumer Affairs
-------------
========

A better option is to collect ALL of the money from the people you serve.
You could consider allowing certain defendants to pay weekly, and if he or she misses a payment, file to have their bond revoked.

As a lawyer in Texas, I can stand for the bond via my law license.
I rarely do that, and if I do, I file for revocation if the client/defendant fails to honor a financial obligation.

The lesson here is be very stingy in allowing a criminal suspect to get bond UNTIL you've been paid in full.

No claimant (natural person or legal entity) may file more than two small claims court actions for more than $2,500 anywhere in the state during any calendar year.

For example, if you file an action for $4,000 in February 2015, and another action for $4,000 in March 2015, you may not file any more actions for more than $2,500 until January 1, 2016.

You may file as many claims as you wish for $2,500 or less.

There is no "correct" job title. You can call that person anything you want.

Just be careful about one thing.

According to the guide previously posted:

"A corporation or other legal entity (that is not a natural person) can be represented by a regular employee, an officer, or a director; a partnership can be represented by a partner or regular employee of the partnership. The representative may not be an attorney or person whose only job is to represent the party in small claims court."

That person's small claims duties should be incidental to his/her other duties.

What are their job responsibilities or duties? What are their detailed job requirements?

Whatever the company owner wants them to be. Including, but not limited to, compiling information and documentation, filling out the forms, filing them with the court, arranging for process service, going to court and testifying, enforcing the judgment.

Whatever the boss wants to pay them above minimum wage.

Not much. Laymen can ordinarily handle a small claims case easily, especially in CA where the court has such a terrific self help website.

Again, it's probably not a good idea to hire a person to do just the small claims. You can hire an Office Manager or Executive Assistant or Bookkeeper with a variety of duties including handling small claims as incidental to his/her regular duties. (Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.)

Back