How to force the sale of a jointly owned home when taxes aren't paid

Status
Not open for further replies.

brknarrow518

Hi. I live in Long Island. My mother-in-law passed away 7 years ago. There was no will so my husband and his brother had to pay probate costs and have their names added as joint owners on her home, which is in Queens, NY. My brother-in-law remained living in the two family home, with the hope of renting out the other apartment. He also agreed to pay the property taxes ($600.00 every 3 months) as he would be living there. We expected to be paid rent from the second apartment, and agreed that we would think about selling the house within a year.

Fast forward seven years later and my brother-in-law owes almost $20,000 in property taxes. The mortgage was paid way before my mother-in-law died, so he only had to worry about paying the property taxes. He has had a friend of his living in the other apartment RENT FREE since shortly after my mother-in-law died. We haven't seen a dime from the home, but have to claim half of it as an asset on two of my daughter's FAFSA forms for college. In addition, he's also owed money for overdue water bills.

I'm afraid that the house will go into foreclosure and will ruin my husband's credit. We would like to force him to sell the house. He has no job. He has terrible credit so he won't qualify for a loan to buy us out.

What can we do to force the sale of the house? We are struggling financially. Is it possible to have the lawyer take his fee from the sale of the house instead of up front? If not, do you know approximately how much the whole process would cost and how long it may take?

Thank you so much for any help. It is greatly appreciated.

A sale can take days, weeks, months, years, or not occur.

Just because a house is on the market doesn't mean a sucker, err, buyer will bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back