How to Find Lo Bono Attorneys (Florida Bar Not an Option)

TobiasB

Jurisdiction
Florida
Ok, so I am trying to work on a modification of a parenting plan at this time. I already know I will need legal representation to accomplish what I am seeking. However, dealing with some issues.

I tried to use the Florida Bar for a referral. Since the case is in a small county, the Florida Bar has no one in that area. They referred me to someone in another county, who was kind enough to tell me I have a solid case for modifying the plan, but it was too far for him to take the case. They then referred me to someone in another county, but it was again too far for them as well.

The last attorney the bar referred me to suggested I look for "lo bono" options (since I make enough to qualify for low-fee with the bar, but none of the pro bono in the area can take my case). However, while browsing the internet, I have had absolutely no luck in finding any listings for "lo bono" attorneys.

A suggestion given to me was that some law firms will have new attorneys they have hired on who are still in training, and you can receive representation from those attorneys for a lower rate. However, I am not sure how to even find that.

I am doing my best to try to save up, but it is hard due to current circumstances. I have been living off ramen for months and months now just to save every single dime, yet I still can't seem to find an attorney that will even take the case, let alone an affordable one.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Legal representation provided by a government entity applies ONLY to CERTAIN criminal cases.

However, pro Bono services are offered by various attorneys. To find one, you must search in a myriad of places. For example, most law schools offer law students (supervised by law professors) providing LOW cost or NO cost to selected clients.

Your other option is to serve as your own attorney, which is referred to as "pro se". You will be required to do your research, draft your pleadings, and argue your case before the court.

Another option is to contact single parent support groups, mother advocacy groups, father advocacy groups, battered female/male support groups, etc... Many of those groups offer some pro Bono legal assistance.

If your rights are being violated today, chances are they'll also continue to be violated in five years. You can start SAVING money TODAY to hire an attorney in the future.

Some attorneys will accept installments that amount to a retainer fee. That allows you to pay so much each week/month until you've paid the fee, at which time the attorney begins working on your case.

Good luck as you endeavor to seek your justice.

You're not going to find a low-cost lawyer by looking for "lo bono" listings. You're going to have to start dialing (and yes, I mean dialing, not email) and asking them.

If there are any law schools in your area, many will have "clinics" where a third-year student, under supervision, will "take" your case. That's one low-cost option. Otherwise, they're not going to advertise "lo bono". You need to ask them individually.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to look around for law schools. I don't think there are any of those that are anywhere near that county either. The county is really tiny, and the nearest big city is about 1.5hrs, hence why none of those attorneys want to take it.

One of them did state they felt the case should be fairly easy with all the leg work I've already done. However, I tried that in the past and got railroaded since my ex has an attorney already. I don't want to risk providing all the material I built up over the past year and have it go to waste because I don't present it properly or ask for the right type of modifications.

But, if I can't find law schools, I will start looking around to see what I can find. I did do a search on a couple attorney referral websites, and got a couple referrals that way. But, I will just keep looking and keep calling. Thank you.

So, I found an option that offered a payment plan. $500 down, $250 a month. My problem with this is there is no definitive limit. So, if she doesn't schedule a hearing for three months from now, and then we have to have another hearing after that in say another three months, I have then paid $2,000 for only two hearings. And if my ex intentionally stalls it, those two hearings might not even get us anywhere.

Oh, and that cost does not include any filing fees and other court-related costs. So, I have no idea how much I'll have to pay on top of that.

This whole monthly payment until it's over regardless of what the attorney is doing for me thing doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but maybe I'm wrong. Thoughts???

This whole monthly payment until it's over regardless of what the attorney is doing for me thing doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but maybe I'm wrong. Thoughts???

You, and you alone, must determine if something is right for you.

You describe one of the many costs when one is forced to buy something using credit.

Back